ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Differences between 12ax7 vs 12au7 other than gain?

:
1/28/2000 4:16 PM
lion
Differences between 12ax7 vs 12au7 other than gain?
In an attempt to lower the gain in a Vox-style preamp Ive found that I really like a 12au7 in the second position instead of a 12ax7.  
(V2a = second preamp stage. V2b = cathode follower driving the tone stack)  

I know that 12au7/12ay7s are more commonly used in the first position and I have tried that too - but I like it better in the second position in this amp.  

But now Im wondering about the use of a 12au7 as a cathode follower and a few other things:  

1) I cant recall Ive ever seen a 12au7 used as a CF - is this a coincidence, or is it just not suitable - or am I missing something here?  

2) What are the differences between the two other than the gain (19.5/100)?  

3) I seem to remember something about added stress on the power supply with 12au7s is this correct?  

4) Of course I could put the 12ax7 back in and drop the gain (say with a split load plate resistor) into the cathode follower - to simulate the lower gain of a 12au7. Would this be a better solution from a tech point of view?  

There seems to be a limited selection of 12au7 tubes which certainly speaks in favor of the 12ax7 solution.  
Anything else to consider?  

Any advise or comments will be appreciated?  
Lion  

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/28/2000 6:10 PM
Scott Swartz

quote:
"1) I cant recall Ive ever seen a 12au7 used as a CF - is this a coincidence, or is it just not suitable - or am I missing something here?"

Not in guitar amps, fairly common in tube hifi.  

quote:
"2) What are the differences between the two other than the gain (19.5/100)?"

Gain, plate resistance, transconductance - which means correct plate resistors around 30K 2 watt, not 100K. Resistors for CF also lower, maybe 40K, 2 watt.  

quote:
"3) I seem to remember something about added stress on the power supply with 12au7s is this correct?"

Typical current draw 4-5 ma per triode, instead of 1-2 for 12AX7  

quote:
" 4) Of course I could put the 12ax7 back in and drop the gain (say with a split load plate resistor) into the cathode follower - to simulate the lower gain of a 12au7. Would this be a better solution from a tech point of view?"

The 12AU7 approach will have less noise and distortion, but maybe not enough to notice in a guitar amp.  

quote:
"There seems to be a limited selection of 12au7 tubes which certainly speaks in favor of the 12ax7 solution."

I think that it is currently out of production, so NOS is only choice  

My main Fender like amp uses a 12AU7 as 2nd gain stage/CF in a Bassman preamp, so I am with you on your choice to use it there.  

1/29/2000 12:13 AM
Reid Kneeland

There's (sort of) one hiding in the Ampeg  
V-series amps and the SVT - section 2  
(pins 1,2,3) of a 12DW7 is pretty much  
a 12AU7, and is used as a CF in those amps.  

Reid  

2/1/2000 4:44 AM
Charlie Escher

I use 12 AU7s a lot. I like using them in the PI/driver slot, as well as the other places you've mentioned. I typically use one somewhere in the gain stages (good for driving the tone stack, even in non CF configuration), and one as a cathode follower for a buffered line out. There are plenty of NOS 12AU7s available, they're cheap (~$5US) too.  

They work especially well in bass amps when you're going for that Ampeg vibe, in my experience.

2/2/2000 6:31 PM
lion

Thanks for the replies.  

Im reassured - and I think Ill just keep it there in the 2nd position, even though I havent changed the resistor values - plate 100K - CF res 56K.  

The voltage readings are as follows:  
2nd gain stage plate 102V cathode 4.1V  
CF plate 376V cathode 117V  

I hope this is OK?  

Lion  

Page 1 of 1