ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which reverb tank?

11/17/1999 7:42 PM
Mike B
Which reverb tank?
I want to add reverb to one of my Spitfire clones. What is the conventional wisdom regarding which reverb tank to use? I basically see short and long tanks with either 2 or 3 springs as the available choices. I don't want to surf - I'm just looking for some ambience... Any opinions/recommendations?  

Thanks,  
Mike B

11/17/1999 9:03 PM
Dave Rutherford

For one thing, you have to get one that matches up impedance-wise with the reverb circuitry. Then worry about short vs. long tank and 2 vs. 3 springs. If you don't want a huge reverb, don't pay extra for a 3-spring tank. Maybe call a knowledgable supplier and give him/her details on your design.  

I'm currently adding reverb to a tweed fender clone. I used the standard fender reverb tank - long tank, 2 springs, #4AB3C1B. If the circuitry is based on typical fender design - transformer coupled, then this one should work for you.  

Dave

11/17/1999 9:11 PM
Mike B

Thanks for the response. I should have provided more detail in my post. I'm going to use the standard Fender transformer coupled topology with a 12AT7 driver. The only difference is the recovery amp will use half of a 12AX7. I plan to mix the reverb back in at the unused phase inverter input 'ala Matchless Chieftan. The other half of the 12AX7 is for tremelo.  

Mike

11/17/1999 11:31 PM
dave rutherford

Mike,  

Here's a link to a site with an explanation of the reverb tank codes, if it'll help:  

http://www.ampwares.com/reverb_codes.html  

11/18/1999 12:35 AM
Mike B

Dave, thanks for the link. It will definitely help me decode the mystery of reverb tanks....  

Mike B

11/18/1999 6:49 AM
Dave Stork

I plan to mix the reverb back in at the unused phase inverter input 'ala Matchless Chieftan.  

Just wanted to mention that Vox did that decades before Matchless.

11/18/1999 1:23 PM
Mike B

In what model? The only schematic that I have for a Vox amp with reverb is the Berkeley II. That amp used the traditional Fender mix through a large-valued resistor.

Page 1 of 1