ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

RCA 6V6GTAs

11/12/1999 11:28 AM
Tom Lennon
email
RCA 6V6GTAs
I needed a pair of 6V6s for a SFPR and stopped by an old TV repair shop in the neighborhood to see if he may have any. He dug out 3 RCA 6V6GTA tubes (NOS) and wanted $18 a piece for them.  
I know the RCA s are the right brand but is this the desirable model as rated in the tube tests?  
Thanks for any help.  
Tom Lennon

11/12/1999 2:23 PM
anonymous
them's the tit's, Tom

11/12/1999 4:11 PM
Bruce
email

I would never pay $36.00 for a pair of unmatched 6V6GTAs.  
However, NOS tubes sound freakin' great in these amps.  
I've been playing with 6EY6s in them and they sound fab too.  

I'm sure if you checked around here there are a few others who sell NOS tubes that are prescreened and with a warranty for similar dollars.  
Bruce

11/12/1999 5:59 PM
John Stokes
I agree with Bruce. The tubes you were offered are clearly not matched, so I can't see paying full boat for them. Those RCA 6V6s are great, but it's more important to get a matched pair.  

11/14/1999 6:03 AM
Tom Lennon
email

I can take my tube tester to the store and check them out for a match. I have a model 747 tube tester that measures transconductance. Forgive my ignorance, but does that tell me what I need to know? Whenever I compare tubes that I have on hand they seem to perform in the amp at the same level they test on the tube tester (relatively speaking) that is, if they both read say 92 on the tester they will both idle about the same in the amp.  
Thanks for the generous replies. This is a great site.  
Tom Lennon

11/14/1999 7:49 AM
John Stokes
Transconductance is one important parameter. The other is idle current.  

11/14/1999 11:56 PM
John Nickerson
email

If you like the amp, just add 1 ohm 1W - 3W resistors between each 6V6 cathode and ground (metal oxides work fine). Then you can use the amp to match tubes for operating current under actual operating conditions. This is always done when matching sets, after getting a good match for transconductance on a tube tester. Use a digital meter and you will read 1 millivolt/milliamp!

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>