ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Plexi Palace

:
10/6/1999 8:12 AM
Jeff Plexi Palace
Any info on these guys? I just found a '69 super Lead at a pawn shop and I'm looking for more gain, Van Halen thing. Thanks

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/6/1999 11:24 PM
Tonefactor

If you want more gain, I'll gladly trade you a JCM-800 for that Plexi. Don't let some idiot butcher it.

10/7/1999 2:02 PM
Trace

Jeff  

When you say more gain....what are you comparing it to? Also the 100watters are PRETTY loud and have to cranking might high to get that kind of gain.  

Hollar back  
Trace

10/7/1999 10:34 PM
Jeff
I run it wide open. I just had it looked at by a local Marshall guy and he says it's 100% stock. Trust me, I'm not looking for a buzz job, too many of those out there already! Just want to get the most gain without some stupid mod. I tried using different preamp pedals and an old 808, but they all sound mushy to me. Mainly looking for that "You really got me" crunch! Thanks

10/8/1999 12:00 AM
Tonefactor

If you want crunch without mush at realistic volume levels, have a pre-PI master volume installed. These are easily reversable if installed in one of the input jacks. A post-PI master gives more distortion at lower volumes, but sounds mushy and loses that in your face Marshall crunch. With the pre-PI master you get a nice AC/DC type crunch sound. Running a TS-808 into it with the drive down and volume up gives a great Van Halen sound.

10/8/1999 1:25 AM
Trace

You can also take out the Presence pot and install the post PI master volume here....it's reverseable, looks stock, you can still jump channels for the addes gain, and the amp has A LOT of high end anyways so most people don't use the presense pot anyways.  

I've found these t be "tight" sounding myself but it depends on what value dual-ganged pot you use. I like 100K's for this myself.  

Trace  

10/9/1999 6:51 AM
Dave M.

You can also take out the Presence pot and install the post PI master volume here....it's reverseable, looks stock, you can still jump channels for the addes gain, and the amp has A LOT of high end anyways so most people don't use the presense pot anyways  

Another possible location for the MV is the low sensitivity input for channel II. This allows you to plug into high I, jumper from low I into high II, and keep the presence pot operational. No desoldering and removal required. Perhaps this is what TF was referring to?  

HTH,  
-Dave

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>