ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Thoughts on input stages....

10/2/1999 8:39 PM
Steve A.
email
Re: Thoughts on input stages....
Ken:  

Without having to do extensive rewiring of your amp, it has been suggested to just use stereo jacks and a 2 conductor guitar cable to extend the idea of star grounding all of the way out to your guitar (which can be rewired per the suggestions on John Atcheley's site to isolate the signal return from the shield grounds). The cable shield would be connected to the amp chassis while the signal return would be connected to the star ground point. However to follow that grounding scheme, you would have to forget about any stomp boxes that weren't rewired for your special 2 conductor cable.  

Or just play speed metal like vintage Metallica and not worry about the "white spaces" because there aren't any... < g >  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. As for recording, I believe that there will be serious advances in digital noise reduction once your tracks have been recorded to hard disk so the issue may become a moot (mute?) point within a year or two.

10/3/1999 5:47 PM
Benjamin Fargen
email
Noise removal after recording.
Steve,  

"P.S. As for recording, I believe that there will be serious advances in digital noise reduction once your tracks have been recorded to hard disk..........."  

It is totally possible to remove the noise from a recording right now! I have a software program called Soundforge that has a noise "removal" plug-in that allows you to sample a few milliseconds of the noise (I purposely let any noise roll at the begining of a take so that I have a good sample of it.) The plug-in "learns" the noise signature and literally REMOVES any trace of it from the track......truley amazing! I say let her buzz!!!!.....just joking K.G.!  

Benjamin.

10/4/1999 11:43 AM
GFR
email

Cool Edit has such a plug-in and I think it's cheaper than SoundForge.  

Also there's DART Pro that is really great for removing clicks and pops from your vynil LP's and for removing hiss from tape recordings, and also has the "learn the noise and kill it" feature.  

While these softwares perform remarkbly well I think the best way to go is to have the quietest source you can, so you don't need to process it a lot. If it ain't broken, it won't need to fix it :)

10/4/1999 12:06 AM
Don Symes
email
Don't point that moot at me!
Moot for points.  
Mute for mimes.

10/10/1999 2:38 AM
Steve A.
email

Don:  

I'm surprised that you missed the pun there... since we were discussing noise reduction, I threw in the "moot(mute?)" punó which after slapstick is the lowest form of humor, IMHO. Then again some people say that punliness is next to godliness... and I'm always looking for the "mute" switch when I find myself stuck in a room with them. Unless "them" is "me" in which case I just let myself ramble on... Everything clear as a belle? Good!  

Steve Ahola

10/11/1999 2:20 AM
Don Symes
email

Well, I DID miss it, but I was overwhelmed by the chance to toss a Goon Show reference into the pot and see if anyone noticed.  

The Goon Show was a 40's-50's radio show from the BBC starring Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe. Record/CDs are available. But it is an acquired taste.

10/11/1999 5:17 AM
Steve A.
email

Don:  

Well, I guess *I* missed the reference to the Goon Show... I used to listen to the rebroadcasts on the KPFA from Berkeley back in the 60's and have always thought those guys inspired much of the comedy in America in the 60's and early 70's. Like Dudley Dooright on the Rocky Bullwinkle Show always sounded like he was a refugee from the Goon Show. (So what ever did happen to Peter Sellers- he used to be funny as hell and except for Inspector Clouseau- which was run into the ground- he never was that funny in most of the movies he made...)  

So are there any sites with MP3 files of all of the radio shows? Seems like since the BBS really doesn't want to do much with them (except license them to "Golden Age of Radio" stations) it'd be fair game for us to give them back to the people!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. "And suddenly... [pause while suspense builds up] nothing happened."

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>