ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Tweed Deluxe OT

9/13/1999 6:42 PM
Tom Lennon
email
Tweed Deluxe OT
I am replacing the output transformer on an early (53 5C3) Tweed Deluxe. Any recommendations as to the best replacement. New sensor has the Thorardson at the best price. I'd like the best "original" performance from the amp.I also noted that Triad made the OTs for these originally and that they had no bell caps on the ends of the windings. Are any of the replacements made this way? BTW this amp has the grid leak bias setup on the preamp tube that I've seen mentioned in another post. Other than not being able to handle too large an input signal ( per G Weber's book) anyone know of any tips or tricks to make sure it is operating at its best?  

Thanks in advance for any help on these.  

Tom Lennon

9/13/1999 7:47 PM
Michael Cameron
email

Tom  

I can say from experience that the New Sensor Deluxe tranny is a winner. I have used several in homebrew amps with great results. For yucks I patched one in to my otherwise stock '52' 5B3 Deluxe and found the tone to be excellent with good freqency response.  

Michael

9/13/1999 8:40 PM
dave r.
email

If you want a 'stock' appearance, Mojo has a line of replica tweed transformers, with deluxe OT available, for sale. This would be closest in appearance to the stock tranny (no end bells, has the fender label on it). Its no slouch in the performance department either.  

dave r.

9/14/1999 3:39 AM
Bruce
email

Which New Sensor OT are you refering to Michael?  

I was unaware they had any iron made to tweed specs.  

I do have a MOJO tweed Deluxe version OT and I've had enough of the real deal amps and OTs (I have a real 5E3 in the shop right now as a matter of fact) to tell that the MOJO is very close in every electro regard except it is built a little differently.  

Bruce

9/14/1999 4:44 AM
Michael Cameron
email

Bruce  

I was referring to the New Sensor Part # nsco41318 for $16.50. I don't know about it being made to tweed specs but it sure sounds good in one, at least to my ears. I believe it is 9K to 8 ohms. I don't think my original 52 Deluxe opt is substantially better. I also really like this transformer in my clone of an old Marshall lead 20 with a 5F6-A front end.(credit for the hybrid design goes to Tim Gagan)  

Michael

9/14/1999 6:31 AM
Bruce
email

OK,... that is a very good transformer at a great price too.  

Maybe a little over kill for a pair of 6V6s in a tweed Deluxe though.  

I think it was wound for a SF Deluxe Reverb though.  

Still a great buy at  

I think the last one I measured was about 6K5ohms/8ohms.  

These #41318 OTs will even work great with a self biased pair of 5881s!  

The smaller #022913 looks too small to be any advantage.  

Bruce

9/14/1999 1:02 PM
J Fletcher
Last time I spoke to New Sensor, about two weeks ago, they told me they were going to a new supplier for their transformers. FYI ...Jerry

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>