ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Since we're on the subject of Dumbo clones...

:
10/16/2000 10:08 PM
Jeremy
Since we're on the subject of Dumbo clones...
Has anyone built a steel string singer clone? I always see talk of the ODS, but never SSS. Anyone got schems for one? If anyone has any, or knows where to get some on the net, email em to me! -Jeremy

10/16/2000 10:29 PM
Don Symes

I think the deal is that there are so few SSS that no owner has had the temerity to bust one open.  

'sides we're a bunch of gainheads around here :)

10/16/2000 10:31 PM
Gil Ayan

quote:
"I think the deal is that there are so few SSS that no owner has had the temerity to bust one open.  

'sides we're a bunch of gainheads around here :)"

Hmmm.. unlike the ODS, the SSS amps are not potted inside.  

Gil

10/17/2000 1:51 AM
Don Symes

So who gots one?

10/17/2000 11:31 AM
BWilliamson

quote:
"So who gots one?"

Better question...Who's got one and is going to share it?  

bw

10/17/2000 3:21 PM
andy fuchs

I recently read some pretty negative comments on Bill Morgan's site, regarding the SSS. This was at a "Dumble Shootout" held recently in Japan. From the comments, it's obviously a bright and abrasive sounding amp (some have compared it to the Carvins, built during that timeframe when Howards shop was oddly enough, around the corner from Carvin's). Yes, it's PC board and unpotted. After you read this review, you might not be all that interested in this amp...it's apparently no ODS

10/17/2000 10:56 PM
Gil Ayan

Q{I recently read some pretty negative comments on Bill Morgan's site, regarding the SSS. }  

Yes, Bill didn't like the one he played. Of course, I know that if RF were using SSSs, Bill would try that amp again and like it :D - if you're reading, Bill, you know I ain't lying. :)  

quote:
"From the comments, it's obviously a bright and abrasive sounding amp (some have compared it to the Carvins, built during that timeframe when Howards shop was oddly enough, around the corner from Carvin's). "

That may well be. It, however, wouldn't explain why people like SRV, Eric Johnson and Larry Carlton (after playing EJ's amp before it was shipped to Austin in 1993) liked these amps, bought them and played them...  

quote:
"Yes, it's PC board and unpotted. After you read this review, you might not be all that interested in this amp...it's apparently no ODS  
"

Well, to say it's build on a PCB is too vague, Andy! It's built on several home-made PCBs which interconnect with one another! Of course, the ODS is already PCB - all but the preamp board.  

Cheers,  

Gil

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>