ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

PT size specs for 22814?

:
8/30/2000 11:11 PM
Randy Jamz
PT size specs for 22814?
I'm hoping someone can help me here and save me a week or so of waiting as a bonus. I'm ordering a run of chassis and planned to use the New Sensor power transformer NSC022814. I need to know the measurements for the hole cut-out and the mounting bolts. I asked New Sensor for the measurements, and they faxed me a sheet with the measurements for a few transformers. Except I can't understand the drawing! I'm sorry, but I took drafting AND sheet-metal in night school and STILL don't get the line drawing. I think it is;  
Hole cut-out = 2 3/4" X 3 11/16"  
Bolt holes = 3 7/16" X 4 1/8"  
I think I have that right, and the orientation as well. It also looks like it could be the overall outside dimensions of the transformer (Ooops)! I could just wait a week or two for the transformers to arrive and then order the chassis with the correct measurements, but I want to have both ready at the same time, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  
Thanks.  
Randy.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/31/2000 11:25 PM
Randy Jamz

OK, after conversing with Ampwares, I managed to coerce the measurements of 2 3/4" X 3 7/16" for the bolt hole spacing. Hmmm! I wonder where the hell N.S. got the 3 11/16" from. And I KNEW the 3 7/16" X 4 1/8" was the outside dimensions of the transformer, which are pretty well useless. I suppose any hole cutout up to the bolt holes will/should accomodate the transformer, but if anyone has the CORRECT measurements, I sure would appreciate it.  
Thanks.  
Randy.

9/1/2000 1:07 AM
Richie{~}==:::

Randy.. when you get this and install it.. just wondering.. I have got a lot of transformers from NS..And most were the replacement fender transformers.. They seem to run really hot..too hot for what was in all the amps i used them in.  
Let me know how yours turns out.  
Thanks Richie{~}==:::

9/2/2000 12:58 AM
Randy Jamz

Richie;  
I owe you, man. If you could please tell me the hole and bolt spacing on that 22814 I will be forever in your debt. I've never tried NS power transformers before, I usually used Hammond. The NS output transformers worked well for me before, but then I 've only used a handful. Are you refering to the PT or the OPT? If they run hot for you, there just might be problem with the amplifier setup (I hope). I had heard that the PTs can be mechanically noisy, but so are the Hammond. I just place a small wedge between the coild and the core and the noise is mostly gone. I have most of the NS PT ratings on a sheet they were kind enough to send me, and the specs for current seem OK, so I can't begin to guess why they would run hot unless you've biased the output stage really hot. I really don't know. Damn I wish I'd have stuck with the Hammond.

9/2/2000 11:04 AM

I am getting ready for work.. I'll measure it this eve and let you know.. I have an empty BF bassman setting here..and it has a 22798..This is the same size as the one you have but it has a Rectifier tap from it. This amp came in gutted and a place for the rectifier tube. he bought the parts and brought them to me..  

9/3/2000 4:59 AM

well I'll give this the best i can.. the Hole size measures..2 7/16 inches..and  
3 5/16 inches.. the mounting bolts at their center point..close as i can come is 3 9/16 and 2 and 11/16.. this 11/16 should be 11/16 and a half..cause its between 11/16 and the next 16th.. Its just a fraction bigger.. but i don't have anything to measure in smaller sizes.. but this is dead on as i can get it.. Hope this helps..  

9/16/2000 12:11 AM
Randy Jamz

Thanks, Richie. I owe you. Although I ordered the chassis with a slightly bigger hole, it'll still work after I drill two bolt hole about 1/4" in from my guessed measurements. The knock out is about 1/8" big all around (not bad). This whole episode taught me to be prepared. There is also 101 stories about UPS screw ups, miscommunication with New Sensor etc. Oi, Vey!

Page 1 of 1