ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Favourite Fender Master Volume Circuit

7/28/2000 10:28 AM
Dodge
Favourite Fender Master Volume Circuit
Hi folks!  

Anyone got any favoured master volume circuits for a typical B/F Fender circuits. I've blackfaced my brother's Twin Reverb for him and he still wants a master volume (Booo!) - It's currently got that wierdo pull boost master volume rubbish that'll have to go.  

All suggestions are welcome!  

Dodge

7/28/2000 12:01 PM
GFR

Try this:  

______ to power amp  
|  
[ ]  
[ ] LINEAR POT  
INPUT -------->[ ]  
from pre [ ]  
[ ]  
|  
ground  

7/29/2000 12:27 AM
JD
That looked cool, I must try it!

7/29/2000 10:51 AM
Dodge

Er... thanks. Kinda like what's in there already that I'm trying to pull out and change, as per my original post.

7/31/2000 12:18 PM
GFR

It's slightly different; the MV that's already there has the output at the pot wiper, the MV I've posted has the input at the pot wiper - it's supposed to avoid the excessive brightness at low master volume settings that the stock MV has. Anyway it's very easy to do with minimum effort.  

PS. I don't like the post-PI MV in Fender or Marshall amps (I like it in VOX style amps - where there's no feedback loop), but that's just my opinion, as you can see on this thread many people like it.

7/31/2000 1:33 PM
Dodge

Ok, it's dead easy to convert what's in there to your diagram. I'll try it and report back.  

Cheers

7/28/2000 7:22 PM
Rick Erickson

quote:
"Anyone got any favoured master volume circuits for a typical B/F Fender circuits."

You might try the old dual 1M pot after the p/i trick.  
I put a couple of these in Plexi Marshals recently (no I didn't drill any holes) for the guitarists in a local band. They like them and say it retains the general character of the amp but allows them to turn the level down on stage. I used .047uF caps on both sides of the pot. (oops, I did drill four tiny holes in the terminal board to install flea-clip terminals for the extra two caps). On a Fender you could probably add a terminal strip held down by the eyelet board mount screw. If you want to get massive distortion you will either need to modify the preamp circuit or forger the MV and use a good distortion pedal. My preference is the pedal.  
RE

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>