ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Aluminum Chassis Question?

:
7/25/2000 12:13 AM
Eric H
Re: Aluminum Chassis Question?
quote:
"change forward-slash to backslash (and notice the quote is between curly-brackets, not parentheses)  
"

Notice the color change, and the blockquote formatting --thats a lot from a couple of keystrokes. Another amazing ampage feature courtesy of t-boy.  

-Eric

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/25/2000 12:28 AM
DavidB

Thanks for the info,not sure how long it takes the lazer to cut but the price is right so I reckon I don't care how they be cut.The face plates well that's another problem,maybe I'll anodize the things then have epoxy paint for the lettering, Sonny jr uses epoxy paint and I saw one in alum anodized black with cream lettering, sharp lookin!  

db

7/26/2000 5:15 PM
Peter S

That is a really good price. IMHO, .090 is a good thickness for aluminum. I just built my first aluminum chassis amp. I wanted it to be strong, and I checked into alot of different avenues. A friend of mine owns a Weld/Machine shop so I got some input from him. I finally decided on 1/4" 6061 T-6 Aluminum alloy architectural grade channel. No welds, no bends, just cut off a section the length you need and cut the holes. It's definitely thick enough for all but the most severe abuse. The chassis cost me $8.00 and about 1 min to cut it off. I spent several hours punching, drilling and tapping(8-32 and 10-32) holes. After I had the holes cut in it, I parked my 94 Impala SS on it.....it didn't bend. I like this stuff. I used jacks with the long threads, but the pots fit fine. You could also Mill the back around the jack holes down to .125 or even less if you wanted to.  

Peter S

7/26/2000 5:20 PM
Mark Buckingham

quote:
"  
I finally decided on 1/4" 6061 T-6 Aluminum alloy architectural grade channel.  
"

Where did you buy it?

7/26/2000 10:22 PM
Peter S

You can buy the architectural grade channel from any metal supplier, who deals in Aluminum I beam, channel, or other types of Aluminum products. This stuff is used in the construction of buildings but it's very inexpensive to buy and saves a great deal of time, i.e. no welds, no bends, etc. AND if you've ever seen what happens to a head that falls off the top of Marshall full stack onto the floor, you can really appreciate the reason why I chose to use 1/4" 6061 T-6 Alloy. My amps have a lifetime warranty......this stuff should last a lifetime. Check some building materials and metal suppliers in your area. You can have them cut the material to length on a cutoff saw and then all you need to do is pop the holes in it. I used Greenlea slug busters to cut the holes for the tube sockets, caps and wire grommets without much fuss.  

Peter S

<<First Page<PrevPage 3 of 3