ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which Humble, and layout considerations.

7/13/2000 9:47 AM
Mark Abbott
email
Which Humble, and layout considerations.
I have been thinking of building a Humble clone, however it isn't all that cheap to build, so screwing up layout etc isn't an excuseable sin here.  

I have also considered repro-ing a Marshall BB RI, or a AC 30 RI, but after hearing the AC 30 RI, I thought this amp would need a lot of work to get it to sound great, and these amps are quite expensive in Australia, (its cheaper to buy vintage).  

As the Humble is quite a compact amp, what tips would those of you who have already built Humble clones recommend in regards to building this amp?  

Yours Sincerely  

Mark Abbott  

P.S. All of my experience is on mods done to existing amps, and repairs. So the starting from scratch thing does freak me out somewhat.

7/15/2000 11:41 AM
BWilliamson
email

Well, couldn't let this drift off the bottom of the page without a reply. Here it goes...  

quote:
"As the Humble is quite a compact amp, what tips would those of you who have already built Humble clones recommend in regards to building this amp?"

The clone I built up on a Bassman Chassis worked out really well. Somethings could be improved on, but using the existing board the layout wasn't too bad. If You dig around the net and look at the pictures, at least the early ones were also very similiar to a Bassman. Look at the first stage and the driver output stage and stuff the OD stage in the middle.  

Steve use to have his Layout he did for his clone in a Bassman around. Maybe bug him and see if it is still available. That will give you a good start.  

Next best advice I have is to build the whole thing on paper down to every detail. I use laminated graph paper/sharpie and qtips with alcohol to clear mistakes/redraws. Layout the the circuit, chassis, locations of all the pots, tubes, jacks, circuit board, bolts for the circuit board, holes for mounting the transformers, where wires run into the chassis from the trannies--etc etc. And when it's perfect, build it from memory at that point.  

bw

7/16/2000 4:32 AM
Mark Abbott
email
Much thanks Brent.
Thanks Brent for your time and assistance.  

Mark.

7/16/2000 3:30 PM
Patrick
email
Re: Which Humble, and layout considerations.
I second what BWilliamson said about layout on paper. When I set out to build my AC-30 clone, I knew I didn't want to lay it out as the orginal, so I went with my traditional Marshall style (tubes up, chassis/controls down) chassis in head config. I also had sunk alot of $$ into parts, including a custom wound OPT and didn't want to screw it up. It just happened that I had to spend 2 very long weeks in Dallas, TX, at NEC school (very long because it was a complete waste of my time, my employer's $$, and it rained the entire time). But, I spent my evenings during that two weeks doing a very meticulous, 1 to 1 layout of the amp on graph paper. I built it on a fairly small chassis (17x8x2), so layout was pretty important. It was worth the effort and made actual fabrication much easier because all the "oh ohs" were worked out on paper before cutting the chassis. Good luck.

7/16/2000 9:19 PM
Steve A.
email

BW:  

And when it's perfect, build it from memory at that point.  

With some of us our memory isn't what..., um, what were we talking about? ;)  

Sometimes I misplace my working drawing ("where did I put that damned thing???") and build it from memory as you suggest, but then there is always something I screw up... :(  

In any case, one famous cliche I agree with is "plan your work then work your plan".  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 1