ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Cutting holes for sockets

6/28/2000 12:45 AM
Keith
email
Cutting holes for sockets
I'm recycling my school's old 1963 auditorium PA to become an Ampeg reverberocket R-12-R, and I need to enlarge 4 12AU7 socket holes to accept octal sockets. The dang thing's built like a tank with a thick steel chassis, and I'm having lots of trouble accomplishing this. Does anyone know of a good tool or technique for quickly removing steel, but with a bit of finesse? I'm using a Dremel tool with a diamond bit and a round file, but it's mighty slow going. Thanks in advance.  

Keith

6/28/2000 12:51 AM
Casey4s
email

Keith you should use chassis punches to do that. (elecrticians call em "slug bustrers")  

Casey4s

6/28/2000 2:07 AM
Mitch
email

you would have been better working around installing 12ax7s in the ampeg as the 6sl7 and 6sn7 are hard to find good non microphonic tubes.and expensive too.  
Cheers

6/30/2000 4:35 AM
mark jones
email

I have seen 6sl7s for less than ten bucks...the teslas are usually decent.

7/2/2000 12:13 PM
Max
email

Hi!  

The solution,a steped drill!  

Best regards.  

Max.

7/4/2000 4:00 PM
Keith
email

Thanks for all the input! I ended up using my trusty step drill bit and the old round bastard file. A bit of elbow grease, but all the tube sockets are in with no major casualties. I just don't have the patience to wait a week to order a punch, but I know I will have to get one soon. Thanks again!  

Keith

Page 1 of 1