ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

doing corners with tolex...

:
6/8/2000 7:25 PM
nic
doing corners with tolex...
I have to say I finished retolexing my super reverb this past weekend and I have come to some conclusions.  
A) Corners are the hardest part! I wish they all had caps!  
B) Me thinks black tolex is probably more forgiving to minor mistakes than white is.  

I used titebond which worked perfectly.  
The smooth blonde tolex was not what I ordered (I ordered rough) but I had to wait a month for it and decided that it may not be a perfect cosmetic match with oxblood but it does look good anyway. The white knobs and a bizare brownface super reverb faceplate look fantastic. I can't wait to upload some finished pics in a month or two!  

nic

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/10/2000 10:22 PM
Steve Ahola

nic:  

titebond...  

Is that the same as "white glue" used for wood (aka "PVA", I think)?  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

6/11/2000 3:40 PM
Peter S

It's the yellow carpenter's glue, much stronger than white glue.....water resistant once setup.....this is absolutely the best glue I've found for gluing tolex....IMHO.  

PS

6/11/2000 5:19 PM
Bruce

Titebond is great stuff but takes a long time to tack down.  
It's also not my choice for Tweeds because all the water seems to leach through and discolor the good finish side.  
Corners are a bitch using anything less then good contact cement.  
A small can of good contact cement, a few solder brushes, a handfull of NEW single edged razor blades and an old hair dryer is paramount to covering cabs and getting nice tight mitered corners.  
Bruce

6/11/2000 5:28 PM
Bruce

Look over David's briefcase pictures and maybe it wil help too.  

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/casey4s  

Bruce

6/12/2000 5:38 AM
Steve Ahola

Peter:  

I've been using the yellow carpenters glue myself for woodworking projects for many years, but when you say "yellow glue" people don't know what the hell you are talking about... ;)  

To reglue the black tolex back plates (with the material peeling off) I have been using contact cement, but I think that I'd pass out breathing the fumes if I tried to cover a whole cab that way. I believe I read here that PVA is what Fender used on their assembly line... those workers would have gotten a real buzz had they been using contact cement!  

Steve Ahola

6/12/2000 12:41 PM
Peter S

Steve,  
You bet! BZZZZ.......I dont know when Fender started using PVA, but I think they used hide glue for Tweeds. Why dont people know what you're talking about when you say yellow glue?????  

Peter

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>