ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Why not??! Salvaging amps

:
5/29/2000 2:17 PM
Dominik Why not??! Salvaging amps
Hi there,  
since my Dumb-le Preamp clone came out ever so nicely, I figured I want a Dumlb-e style combo next time. Money is tight, so I figured how to cough up the money for the chassis etc. Parts (caps resistors) are not that expensive, but trannies etc. can get expensive. So I looked around some in the classifieds and found something interesting: Tweed Fender Blues DeLuxe (200US$) or Laney ProTube 50Watt for 140 US $. I wonder whether the OT and Power Tranny of the Fender Blues Deluxe would get me close on the nessecary voltages. The OP Reverb section would come out of course. The PS of the BluesDeluxe puts out about 427 V DC after the rectifier or so. The schematic does not show the AC output or the current. But since this amp uses two 6L6GC and three 12AX7 (7025) I guess it would be fine. I would strip the chassis bare to sockets, pots and trannies. Put in some lugs or a turret board ( with the exact layout this time) and I could even use the existing preamp out and power amp in sockets. The tweed style Fenders are really what I like comseticallywise so that would be ok as well. Building such a cabinet would be much more expensive.I think that this could really work! What do you think about it??

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/29/2000 8:03 PM
rmike

I have no clue whether the Fender would be right for your ^umble project, but at that price, it would be a great starting place for just about any hand wired circuit you could squeeze out of it (tweed cabinet, chassis, speakers, trannies, sockets, knobs, for $200!). Don't those Tweed models also come with the blue alnico speakers?

5/31/2000 4:03 PM
Glen H.

I would have one reservation for using trannies from a Laney. From what I have seen, the OT's are prone to failure...:( Our store stopped selling Laney's, due to the failure rate! Why Laney used poorer quality OT's (esp. in the '80's) is anyone's guess (ie. to save $$$).  
Unfortunately, I still like Laney amps!!! And I would have a difficult time passing one up for a mere $140...:D  

Regards,  
Glen

5/31/2000 6:32 PM
Rick Erickson

I would have one reservation for using trannies from a Laney. From what I have seen, the OT's are prone to failure...:(  

No problem: Just drop in one of Obsolete Electronic's 50W OT's. Probably be a good improvement judging from what I've read and from my knowlege of Joe and his design partner Stephan.  
RE

5/31/2000 6:49 PM
Rebel420

quote:
"No problem: Just drop in one of Obsolete Electronic's 50W OT's. Probably be a good improvement judging from what I've read and from my knowlege of Joe and his design partner Stephan."
Check my review of Joe's OT in the amps general discussion, or on PlexiPalace board ;/) I agree, the ObsoleteElectronics OT's are KILLER!

Page 1 of 1