ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Dumble Clone Parts: Trannies etc...

5/23/2000 5:46 AM
Dave B.
email
Re: Dumble Clone Parts: Trannies etc...
So far it sounds like Twin style trannies (or Maybe that new sensor MPT-100), 12" EV speaker, and no reverb are the way to go.  
Graydon Stuckley is building the chassis for me. I want the tubes on top, English style, (less heat destuction)and an extra preamp tube. (I want to install the dumulator internally)  

So I need a 4 ohm 12" EV or get an OT with an 8 ohm tap (like the magic parts one)  

I have been doing some experimenting with very satisfying results. I built a tube distortion pedal(similar to the matchless hot box)  
with three 12ax7's. I put a regulated power supply in it and the Dumble circuit. For the OD section I tried the skyliner, a bandaxall tone stack, even a tweed deluxe type tone stack. Finally I tried the old style OD section(with .0035 across the last plate resistor to keep from ripping my ears out) and wow! Playing thru my EV equiped princton reverb, I'm sounding like Robben (if I could only play like him!). The skyliner EQ does give you a Marshally vibe, but the original OD circuit really sings! I've never such a vocal tone before. I can't wait to hear it in the entire circuit. However I really happy with my little dumb-pedal. I've modified this thing for five years (even had a SLO 100 circuit in there)and I'm finally satisfied with th it.Can't wait to play live with it!  

Thanks for the insightful comments, if anyone has an EV they want to sell or trade let me know.  

Dave B.

5/23/2000 6:03 AM
Steve Ahola
email

Dave:  

Can you spell out the details of your "dumb-pedal"? Like the PS voltages and resistors, the plate and cathode resistors (and bypass caps), pots and trimmers you used, tone stack details. Here is a survey form (less the power amp section):  

SEND IN THE CLONES!  

Instructions: Please list any values that differ from schematic  
listed below.  

Basic Schematic used (if any):  
Other notes:  

CLEAN SECTION  

CL1  
1M resistor to ground?  
Rg:  
Rp:  
Rk:  
Ck:  
Other:  

TONE STACK  
Slope resistor:  
Treble/midboost caps:  
Bass cap:  
Mid cap:  
Treble pot:  
Bass pot:  
Resistor to ground from bass pot:  
Cap across bass pot:  
Mid pot:  
Vol pot:  
Bright cap:  
Other:  

OPTIONAL SWITCHES  
Rock/Jazz:  
Mid boost:  
PAB boost:  
Deep:  
Bright:  
Other:  

CL2  
Rg:  
Cap across Rg:  
Rp:  
Rk:  
Ck:  
Local FB resistor:  
Local FB cap:  
Coupling cap:  
Other:  

OD SECTION  

INTERSTAGE  
Series resistor:  
Cap across series resistor:  
2nd series resistor:  
OD input trim pot:  
Other:  

OD1  
Rg:  
Rp:  
Rk:  
Ck:  
Clamping cap (from plate to cathode):  
Other:  

INTERSTAGE  
Coupling cap:  
Series resistor:  
OD Drive pot:  
Other:  

OD2  
Rg:  
Rp:  
Rk:  
Ck:  
Clamping cap:  
Other:  

OPTION ONE (w/o post OD TS)  
Coupling cap:  
Series resistor:  
OD level pot:  
Bright cap:  
Series resistor after OD level pot:  
Other:  

OPTION TWO (with post OD TS)  
Slope resistor:  
Treble cap:  
Bass cap:  
Mid cap:  
Treble pot:  
Bass pot:  
Mid pot:  
Series resistor to OD level pot::  
OD level pot:  
Bright cap:  
Series resistor after OD level pot:

5/23/2000 6:15 AM
Gil Ayan
email
Dumbleator and "Send in the Clones!"
Dave: if I were you, I would build the Dumbleator separately. Keep the amp simple.. otherwise you will have to modify the power supply to get the right voltages there. The extra cost would be about $30 for a 1-space rack chassis, but overall, you'd be better off....  

Stevie: "Send in the clones.." you crack me up! :)  

Gil

5/23/2000 9:40 AM
Jamie
email

any chance there are any Steve Taylor fans on the BBS?  

he "sent in the clones" almost 20 years ago.  

Jamie

5/23/2000 4:34 PM
Mark
email

I'd gone through so much other stuff  
that walking down the aile was tough  
but now I know it's not enough!  

Steve who?!? Isn't he James' brother? ;-)  

Has he done anything since "I Predict.." except for a couple of guest appearances on TBN?

5/23/2000 4:42 PM
MKB
email

Steve has been into production lately; one of my favorite albums is the Newsboys' "Take me to your leader". I was intrigued by the fantastic lyrics until I read the credits- Steve Taylor co-wrote nearly all the songs and produced it also! Check it out if you haven't yet.

5/23/2000 8:31 PM
Jamie
email
Steve Taylor Stuff
Steve Taylor is VERY VERY busy. He fronted Chagall Gueverra in 1991 or so. A great album that failed commercially was the result, but before long his most recent solo album "Squint" was released. A tour and live album followed. The album had incredible modern rock tunes with quirky and poingant Steve Taylor lyrics. He is now the man behind Squint Records. Squint is the label for Sixpence None the Richer and several other recent bands that have been popular on MTV, VH1, Dawson's Creek and movies. Speaking of which, last I talked to Steve, he's working on a movie.  

Rant is now over.  
Any questions- drop me an e-mail!!  

Taylor Fans unite!!!!  

Jamie

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 5 Next> Last Page>>