ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

more recording guitar.

9/24/2000 5:12 AM
aron
email
more recording guitar.
I realized that if we all start recording samples of our pedals through the same Marshall speaker Simulator - we stand a pretty good chance being able to compare the pedals at a little better than through amps.  

Of course you really want to hear what it sounds like through a real amp, but it may be useful for comparison, especially since a number of you seem to be making the simulator.  

About the biggest difference would be the guitar (Strat vs. Les Paul) type of thing, but still, this could be interesting.  

Maybe we could even make a single simulator pedal and mail between us! :-)

9/24/2000 9:26 AM
Eric H
email

quote:
"I realized that if we all start recording samples of our pedals through the same Marshall speaker Simulator - we stand a pretty good chance being able to compare the pedals at a little better than through amps."

That's an excellent idea, Aron. I'm long overdue for some clips --guess it's time to build one of those.  

-Eric

9/25/2000 4:27 AM
Gilles C
email

It couldn't be suggested in a better time (it always time for a good idea anyway...).  
I checked the sound of the effects I built, with my amp in place of recording it directly into my sound card. And I was wondering which method would be best to record clips.  

Would the Marshall Sim be the best one to use in place of an amp, or would it be better to build another one?  

Oh, btw, what would be the best compromise for the sampling rate. I tried 44.1 but the files are too large. I've uploaded a 700K file (of a clip I recorded of my SB5) to my Web site. But I can't ask somebody to download 700K, just to hear how my SB5 sounds...  

So, I am know trying to start my recordings all over again, but with a better set-up.  

Suggestions for that could be in a file to be downloaded from this site, like a guide to follow.  

Gilles

9/25/2000 5:27 AM
r4c
email

Try recording your sound files at 44.1 (to a wav file if you're on windows) and encode them using an MP3 encoder at a lower bit rate (96 kbps or higher is an acceptable bit rate). This will reduce the file size but keep a lot of the sound quality.

9/25/2000 12:45 PM
Willy
You can record them in mono, too.  

Willy

9/25/2000 8:44 PM
aron
email

I would say if we all used the Marshall Sim, then we really could start comparing effects easier. Yes, not as good as an amp (not even close) but a good reference point.  

Record as a .WAV or .AIF file at 44K. OK, now get any one of the free MP3 encoders and encode at 96K or 128K.  

If you have a 700K file, I would be glad to convert it to MP3.  

I would also be glad to put it on my web site.  

Aron

9/26/2000 5:11 AM
Gilles C
email

Thanks guys for the info.  

Btw, it's a 700K "mp3" mono file... Don't know why it's so large, It's only around 30 sec I think.  

Today, I took the big wav file (44K, mono) and converted it to mp3 again but at a smaller 96K bitrate, ant it came down to 500K. Better but I will try to do better and more tests tomorrow.  

Aron, You can take a look at it on my homepage at  
http://homepage.altavista.com/gillcar/Effects.html  

It's not much, (and not complete enough to publish) and I wanted to be able to put something better before I submit it to you. But you can still take a peek at this one for now :-)  

This sampling was only to compare the sound of the SB5 at minimum drive). I still have to record it with more drive and a few changes of parts. But I will use a different program this time. I'll tell you when it's done.  

(I hurted my back 3 weeks ago and had to stop everything for a while. I just started working on my projects again a few days ago.)  

Thanks again,  
Gilles (sorry about the lengh of the message...)

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>