ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: more blending

:
8/31/2000 1:14 AM
John Greene
Re: more blending
I think your biggest problem with this idea is isolation. You are driving parallel paths no matter where the pot is set, you are just adding more resistance in one leg or the other. With a high-impedance FET as a mixer, the pot is not going to have much effect. I think the majority of the effect you are hearing is because of the voltage divider you have in the clean side. The pot just changes the value of the voltage divider.  

Anyway, what you really need are two amps that you can contol the gain with a voltage. That way you can increase the voltage on one as you decrease the voltage on the other by using just one pot.  

I can't really see any way of accomplishing what you want, increasing the signal on one while decreasing it on the other, without using either a couple of voltage-controlled amps or a dual-ganged pot.  

--johng

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/31/2000 11:18 AM
Doug H

Aron,  

Sorry I didn't respond to your email, been busy at home...  

Sounds like the Gretch Controfuzz!;-)  

Anyway, try this:  

Use both modules of a dual op-amp. Feed the input to both. Set up one opamp circuit for clean boost, the other one with either feedback or shunt diodes. Use a gain pot in the feedback loop of each op-amp. Then tie the outputs together. Vary each gain individually to control the mix.  

Give it a try,  

Doug

9/1/2000 1:25 AM
Eric H

quote:
"Sounds like the Gretch Controfuzz!;-)  
"

That thing looks pretty interesting, Doug --ever build it?  

-Eric

9/1/2000 10:56 AM
Doug H

No, I've done experiments before with blending clean and distorted signals and they never held my interest. I think I've concluded that I play differently when I'm playing clean or distorted, something about my picking attack changes. Anyway, mixing a pristine clean tone with a distorted one just doesn't sound good to me, I prefer to slightly distort or compress the signal for a "semi-clean" tone, rather than mixing in a completely clean tone.  

But, as always, YMMV...  

Doug

9/1/2000 1:42 AM
aron

>Sounds like the Gretch Controfuzz!;-)  

Something like it but not really at all. If you notice, the Gretch runs full tilt all the time.  

My version would simultaneously blend more distortion and alter the amount of signal sent to the diodes.  

Anyway, it's not very interesting....

8/31/2000 12:07 PM
GFR

Hi Aron,  

I'm working on something similar (but with a sick twist). I'll post it soon.  

quote:
"The blend pot has problems with taper."

You can try a "ballance" pot like those used in stereos. It's a double pot but when it's at 12:00 both pots have max. resistance, when you turn it left or right only one of the sections decrease the resistance, the other stays at max.  

quote:
"In addition, I don't know if I like the sound of the clean guitar AND distortion at the same time."

I've played with a Fender Fuzz Wha that had a blend pot for clean/dirt. I definetely don't like it. What I think is most annoying is that as the clean sound gets softer, the dirt is still fuzzed, so the blend changes with the envelope of the note. And it does in a way I don't like - the fuzzy percentage of the total gets higher as the note dies.  

Perhaps one could try mixing the fuzz signal with a COMPRESSED clean signal...

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2