ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: My Lava Rim doesn't work

:
8/19/2000 5:49 PM
aron
Re: My Lava Rim doesn't work
The .1uF will fatten it up and it will have more distortion :-)  

Did you put sockets for the transistors and diodes? If so, you are going to have fun swapping transistors and diode combinations!  

This hobby is fun!

8/20/2000 1:17 AM
Distortionfreak

I used sockets for the transistors, not the diodes. I will experiment with different transistors. Radio Shack didn't have transistor sockets, so I bought op amp sockets and cut them in half and removed one pin.  
I'm already trying to decide what I want to do for my next project, I was thinking, maybe a green ringer or something like that.  
I'll try the .1uf and see how it sounds. Thanks again, Frank

8/20/2000 10:16 AM
aron

If you can, replace the diodes with sockets. There are so many sounds in this one pedal. You can put a mosfet in the 2nd transistor socket for a totally different sound. You can swap diodes and put only one, or test with LEDs etc.. etc... Very fun!

8/20/2000 11:18 PM
Distortionfreak

I didn't see any diode sockets at Radio Shack, I asked, but they seem more concerned with selling cell phones and internet service. I probably could have made one from the op-amp socket too. I checked out all of the different transistor options at your website, I started with the 2n3904 trans. and the 1n4001 diodes because it seemed like the easiest thing to do.

8/21/2000 2:19 AM
Eric H

quote:
"I didn't see any diode sockets at Radio Shack, I asked, but they seem more concerned with selling cell phones and internet service. I probably could have made one from the op-amp socket too."

AFAIK, cutting up dip sockets, and sip sockets is the way most people do it. You do want to find some with machined sockets, and gold plated fingers --not available at most Radio Shack stores --try Mouser, Digi-Key, Radio-Shack.com. The issue here is long-term degradation of signal through oxidation of the VERY TINY physical contact between the sockets and component leads (especially after repeated use).  
The most reliable method (advocated by R.G., and others) is to try your different components, choose one configuration, and solder the components to the sockets. Possible exceptions would be germanium transistors (sockets avoid heat damage) and mosfet components (easy replacement, in the event of electro-static damage).  

More info than you asked for :)  
YMMV  

-Eric

8/21/2000 5:55 AM
aron

That's what I do. I "freeze" the circuit after a while by soldering the components to the sockets.

8/28/2000 6:28 PM
Distortionfreak

I didn't hook up that bias pot at the input. What does it do? I should probably try it before I start drilling holes in the box...Does it have any affect on the level or volume?

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>