ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

My Lava Rim doesn't work

:
8/18/2000 3:16 AM
Distortionfreak My Lava Rim doesn't work
I just finished up my Lava Rim tonite and it doesn't work. I think I may have hooked up the trimpots wrong, I wasn't sure about them. I got them at Radio Shack and they are the kind shown in the right side of the picture that Aron posted of his. I connected them like this. Looking at the top of the pot, the flat side is on the left, 2 terminals on the left, one on the right. I used the top left as #3, the one on the right as #2, and the bottom left as #1. I connected #1 to #2. Does this sound right? I used 2N3904 transistors, which I socketed. It looks like everything is connected properly, I was very careful putting it together. I wired it straight without a switch, and am using a good battery. All I get out of it is a very faint sound. I'm too tired to mess with it anymore tonight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/18/2000 3:20 AM
Distortionfreak
P.S., I also have reason to believe I may have fried the 220pf capacitor, after I soldered it it was wet looking and hot. Would it work if I took that cap out just to test it?

8/18/2000 3:54 AM
aron

Sounds correct to me.  

Are you sure the transistors are oriented correctly?  

What value trimmers did you use? If you adjust the trimmers, do you hear any change in sound?  

As far as the 220pf, don't worry about it.

8/18/2000 10:58 AM
Distortionfreak
They didn't have the right values for the trimmers, so I used a 47k for the 50k, and a 4.7k for the 5k. Would that work? There is a slight change in volume when I turn the trimmers. I'm pretty sure the transistors are ok. I'll have to double check everything. I haven't spent much time trouble shooting yet. I hope it's something simple. Thanks for your help.

8/19/2000 3:08 AM
Distortionfreak
I got it working! First I found out I had actually put the transistors in wrong. Then I could only get a weak, scratchy sound if I struck the strings hard. I looked around and found that I hadn't connected one lug on a trimmer. I hooked it up and it worked. It sounds pretty good, a little nasaly though, kinda like a wah...should I change the cap at the input? I used a .01 uf, I think.  
Also, when I turn the drive pot all the way up, I get oscillation (squeaky, squealy type of noise, I think that's what it's called).  
When I turn the guitars pot down, I get a radio broadcast. Any ideas what might be causing these problems?  
I really like this pedal, I think it has alot of potential to be one of my faves, once I get these little things straightened out. It's got lots of sustain, and sounds nice when I back off the volume pot on the guitar a little.

8/19/2000 3:45 AM
aron

>should I change the cap at the input? I used a .01 uf, I think.  

Yep. try a .1uF and work up.  

>Also, when I turn the drive pot all the way up, I get oscillation (squeaky, squealy type of noise, I think that's what it's called).  
When I turn the guitars pot down, I get a radio broadcast. Any ideas what might be causing these problems?  

Is it in a metal box? Make sure the input and output leads are separated well.  

I like the pedal too!

8/19/2000 1:12 PM
Distortionfreak

It's not in any box yet, just laying on my bench. I'm going to take one of my other pedals apart and use it's box. I know I have some .1uf caps, so I'll try that. This is pedal #3 for me and I'm having fun doing this, even when it doesn't work and I have to troubleshoot. Thanks for your help, Frank

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>