ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Can Anyone ID this Tube?

8/4/2000 12:35 PM
Doug
email
Can Anyone ID this Tube?
I recently acquired some old preamp tubes and I'm currently having a "shoot-out" between 8 12AX7 types in my Electar amp. Currently my favorite is this German tube that is marked: "12AX7/ECC83" "Computor Tube" "Made in West Germany" No mention of the company or anything, I wonder if it could be the Siemens tube?  

It has a really pretty tone, I prefer it over the JAN Phillips 12AX7WA that came with amp. The mids are smoother in medium-high gain. When I dial my guitar volume down for clean tones, it has highs that tinkle like a wind chime, very crystalline and glassy sounding. The pick noise is articulated very clearly. In comparison, the JAN is much more "middy" sounding in this clean setting, without the high freq definition. The JAN may have slightly higher gain, but not enough to be significant.  

Anyone heard of this one before or know who might have made it?  

The good news is I have 3 of these.;)  

Doug

8/4/2000 5:44 PM
Eric H
email

quote:
"The good news is I have 3 of these."

Great find, Doug, there are (were) at least 3 German makers that I know of (Telefunken, Valvo, Siemens) and they all command very high prices. A very careful description of the innards, compared to your Philips, posted on Ampage should do it --if you can't post a picture. Color, shape, height of the plates, shape of getter, shape of the little glass nub on top (if there is a diamond-mark on the bottom :Telefunken).  

-Eric

8/7/2000 12:30 PM
Doug H
email

Thanks, Eric. I already checked on Ampage and from the description someone gave me, it is indeed a Telefunken. He told me to check the bottom (between the pins) for the diamond surrounding the number, etched in the glass. Plus, I read somewhere else that the label will wear off easily and this one is worn off pretty good.  

Thanks,  

Doug

8/7/2000 2:13 PM
Eric H
email

VERY nice Doug.  

-Eric

8/7/2000 5:07 PM
aron
email

Yep, the diamond says it all. It's a Telefunken.  

I looked at mine and yep, it's there.  

Good deal.  

Now the question is on the plates - are there ridges??? If so, then you really got the good Telefunkens!  

Aron

8/7/2000 5:40 PM
Doug H
email

I'll check when I get home-I think so, though.  

Rrrruffles have rrrrridges, huh?  
(Just ignore if you don't get it-you're too young...;-)  

Doug

Page 1 of 1