ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Still on vacation - getting everything

:
7/30/2000 10:02 AM
aron
Still on vacation - getting everything
As you can tell, I am still on vacation - working on my guitar and other things.  

I AM getting everything via mail - so everyone that has sent me schematics - THANKS!  

I will have them posted end of next week when I return.  

I got to play through 3 Trainwreck amps today! Prototype, Liverpool and Express. Pretty ridiculous in all but the Express was my favorite. Killed! I am still amazed by the tone quality!  

I wonder if my distortion boxes will ever got close :-(  

Excuse me but I have a jam session to get ready for....  

:-)  

Aron

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/30/2000 4:38 PM
Gus

Are you taking nice pictures of the insides of the nice amps?

7/30/2000 5:41 PM
Eric H

quote:
"I got to play through 3 Trainwreck amps today!"

Dang. And you live in the islands, too.  
Details on the Express would be nice. I read nothing but raves about these. I'm collecting parts for another home-brew, and this one is leading the pack.  
How's the volume with a band --can you get it to break up without totally blasting (unlike, say a Marshall 50 watt).  

-Eric

7/31/2000 5:33 PM
aron

>Details on the Express would be nice.  

I wish I had details. Unfortunately all the talk on AMPAGE has gotten people to shy away from showing me the insides of the amp and other details.  

NO, the amp is LOUD. Gotta use an Airbrake or distortion pedal live.  

Too bad.  

He has a small "dirty little monster" Trainwreck that is awesome and about 13 watts???  

Perfect for playing live.

7/31/2000 8:32 PM
Eric H

quote:
"NO, the amp is LOUD. Gotta use an Airbrake or distortion pedal live.  
"

2 EL34's usually are (I believe that's what's in the express). Steve Ahola has mentioned that at least some of these are designed to have 6V6's substituted simply, which would help.  

quote:
"He has a small "dirty little monster" Trainwreck that is awesome and about 13 watts???"

Hmmm... sounds like 2 EL84 single-ended (my 2-6V6 SE puts out about 10 watts --not enough clean-headroom for a band, but overdriven it's great).  

Plenty of info here, Aron (especially for the stompbox-forum :) ) Thanks a lot.  

-Eric

8/1/2000 5:35 AM
aron

After playing some of the lower wattage amps like the Dirty Little Monster - it's really apparent that you can go from clean to totally dirty with a twist of the guitar volume knob.  

It's also really obvious that the amps - well these Trainwrecks - are remarkably clear and transparent sounding, even when overdriven.  

I guess this is the goal, to get our distortions like this.

8/1/2000 5:58 AM
Eric H

quote:
"you can go from clean to totally dirty with a twist of the guitar volume knob."

My amp comes pretty close to this, but the clean is a bit too-quiet, with a band, and the dirty is too loud for coffee-houses (which is mostly where I play these days --backing an acoustic player). This is a wonderful sweet spot that few people get to hear, because I can't turn it up. the overdrives are great for me in this situation, but my amp can sound pretty amazing with just a cord --and it's no trainwreck. I need to find someone with one of those (or something similar) to see what I'm missing.  

-Eric

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>