ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

PCB's

7/8/2000 2:52 PM
Alex
email
PCB's
How do the radio shack kits for making circuit boards work? It comes with the etchant solution, copper clad board, and an etchant resistant marker.

7/8/2000 5:28 PM
Distortionfreak
I was wondering about that too. I would like to learn to make pcb's

7/8/2000 6:24 PM
jason
email

As far as the radio shack kits go, take the copper clad board and draw you circuit pattern on it using the pen supplied. Then soak the board in the acid they supply and the acid will eat all the copper except what was covered by your pen leaving you with your pc board ready to be drilled and stuffed with components. In my opinion using the pen will work on small simple projects but not to easy to do more complex circuitry...still great for learning. After that try some press n peel blue transfers (will allow much more complex circuits) and you'll never use the pen again. with the press n peel blue you design the circuit layout with a computer graphic program then print it onto the press n peel sheets with a laser printer (also works with a copier machine), then iron that onto the board and throw it in the acid. Makes for a real nice looking board.  
jason

7/8/2000 6:27 PM
Ed Guidry
email

It worked for me. So far, I've built the Sweet Thing and the Shaka Braddah IV using their supplies. I bought the solution and boards separate, they didn't have the kit. I used a sharpie pen (a dual point, fine and wide tips on one pen)  
I take the PCB gif, and in photoshop I create a mirror image. I tape it onto my pcb board cut to size I drill out holes with my dremel, then I clean the board with ajax, getting it nice and shiny.  
I then clean the board with alcohol and let it dry. I take the sharpie and start drawing traces, letting it dry, and go over it again, make sure you have enough "paint" to resist that acid.  
I dry it with a hair dryer, and I may let it dry overnight if i'm not in a hurry (you shouldn't be)  
I take a small plastic dish (It's a Kraft Singles container, it used to hold Kraft cheese slices) and I put a shallow amount of acid in there. I nuke it in the microwave for about 15 secs to warm it up. Don't get it too hot, or it eats through the sharpie paint.  
Let it sit in there for a few minutes, rocking it back and forth. Check it out. When all the copper is etched away, rinse it out with cold water, and be careful with the acid, that stuff stains stuff bad. I wouldn't drain it out in any metal sinks, like stainless steel.  
Then take teh board and clean off the sharpie from the traces. Use some nail polish remover, works good.  
Of course, check out all of your traces with a meter before you put your parts on.

7/8/2000 7:08 PM
jens
email

I just used a similar kit for the fulltone 69 circuit for the first time. On the first try I didn't let the pen marks dry enough, or I didn't clean the board before putting it in the acid. The result was that the penmarkings started to come off.... Next try I used a hairdryer for a couple of minutes and it worked fine.  

I did it pretty much the was Ed described, only I took a fineline pen and punched tiny holes in the printout wherever there was to be a hole, then held the paper on top of the copper and put a mark on the copper through *every* punched hole. Remove paper and drill through at all the marks. No need to create a mirror image, you just flip the paper :-) Next step is like those drawing kits for kids where you connect holes/dots with lines :-)  

I had the acid in a glass jar. Just filled hot water in the sink and left the jar in there some time before I was to use the solution. I changed the water every now and then to max the heating effect.  

Those cheese packages sounds like a good idea though. Takes less acid to cover the board, and I had to find the biggest jam-jar before I was able to squeese the circuit inside :)  

Jens

7/8/2000 7:45 PM
jason
email

quote:
"and I had to find the biggest jam-jar before I was able to squeese the circuit inside  

"
had to eat alot of sandwhiches too didn't you.  
:)  
jason

7/8/2000 8:31 PM
jens
email

My neighbour probably wonders why I only offered him bread with one kind of spread.  

I've recently discovered that effects building does not fully substitute sleep. Walked around like a zombie today. Anyone heard the song (/sound-painting) "what the hell is he building in there" by Tom Waits? Kind of what I feel like sometimes when sneak out to pick up cigarettes and a package full of gadgets at the postoffice only to dissappear and start making sounds of drilling, sawing, guitar-tuning, reappearing only for quick food-breaks until the effect is done :-)  

Jens

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>