Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  


7/2/2000 3:53 AM
Johnathan Foy
i bought some of this like a few weeks ago and used it, works pretty good (for me) actually!!!  
just was wondering if anyone else had used it.  
Johnathan Foy
7/2/2000 5:08 AM
Ed Guidry

I wonder if they're selling the Technics press n peel. I would think "press and peel" would be trademarked by them.  
I'll have to check it out. It'd be nice to be able to walk into rat shack and pick some of that stuff up. I'm getting tired of wearing out sharpie pens.  
BTW, do you have that Rat Shack product number handy?
7/2/2000 6:04 AM
Johnathan Foy

well it isn't labeled "press n peel" but they are called "dry transfers" and are practically dirt cheap...  
the rs part # is: 276-1490 ...and are obviously right over where the pcb's are in the store...  
to my knowledge, they have carried it since 97 at least and the copyright date on the packaging is 96 but man they are only like $1.49 for 4 sheets!  
i mean you can get right many "simple" pcb's out of one pack...heck i could probably do several pcb's off of one sheet!  
why didn't someone tell me this stuff was this easy! lol  
after using this stuff, the sharpie pens are taking the back burner! :)  
just my 2 cents worth...  
Johnathan Foy
7/2/2000 10:46 AM

I've used them quite a bit, in fact I still sometimes use them to cover over tracks and pads on iron on transfers that didn't fully transfer. I guess "ease of use" of these things is a matter of opinion. Overall, _I_ don't think they are easy to use. Its neater than a sharpie, but not as easy to apply, IMHO. I used to draw rough layouts , in reverse, on graph paper, then stick the dry transfer stuff on to transparencies using thre graph paper drawing as a guide Then make photocopies of the transparency to use for iron-on transfers. That works pretty well for making neat, reusable PCB patterns. IMHO, the neatest, easiest, method for use at home is using computer generated PCB drawings with Technics PnP. Anyway, good luck on your PCB making!  
7/3/2000 3:54 AM
Mark Swanson

Hey you guys, I have some "press 'n' peel" stuff that I bought when it first came out, I think I got it from a company called "Meadowlake", this was a number of years ago, maybe even ten...I never had good luck with it. I cannot get a very strong transfer from a copy machine, and that I think is the problem. What kind of copier are you all using? I cannot get one to deposit enough toner. It doesn't leave much after ironing on...
7/6/2000 5:07 AM
color copies
I print my layouts on a 600dpi inkjet and have a color xerox made onto regular cheap transparencies. The cheapo kind without the white strip on one side. Those transfer pretty well and the color copiers produce much cleaner art.  
Unfortunately, it's still not clean enough to make Hilbert :(
7/3/2000 4:37 AM
I used these since the '80's so they've been around for a long time. Just a tip, keep them in the freezer as in high heat/humidity they can be a little bit of a pain, as they come off too easy (resulting in too much coming off or they stick to your hands). also you can use a razor knife to cut them the length you want while still on the plastic to make sure they come off as desired,  
They are great for making PC's, I use them all the tim

  Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>