ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Sweet thing just finished, but........

:
6/29/2000 7:51 PM
Peter Cornell
Sweet thing just finished, but........
Hi list  
This thing is AWESOME! I cant believe the range of tones, it sings. However 2 questions :  
1. As I turn the the drive (first) pot down, it eventually cuts out completely. Is this right?  
2. The tone control also acts as a gain pot. Is this right?  
I've checked the wiring but it seems O.K.  
Any comments guys?  
Peter

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/29/2000 8:02 PM
aron

>As I turn the the drive (first) pot down, it eventually cuts out completely. Is this right?  

Yes. Put a 10K to...? resistor in series with the drive pot to ground to set a minimum drive resistance if this bothers you.  

>The tone control also acts as a gain pot. Is this right?  

Funny you should mention this. It doesn't act like this in my copy. It DOES act somewhat like this in my version of the Bigger Muff. One side is a lot louder than the other.... I wonder if you and I have a wiring problem here?  

It doesn't do this on my Hot Fuzz proto..... weird.  

Aron

6/29/2000 8:58 PM
Peter Cornell

When does 22uF equal 22nF? When I have to read my own handwriting..... Changed the cap (C10) and the tone control works fine. I did think that it would be nice to have a wider sweep. Would a 100k lin pot for the tone control do this?  
Thanks for the help, GOTTA GO PLAY. Thank you Doug  
Peter

6/29/2000 9:45 PM
Doug

Glad you enjoy it, Peter! Thanks go to Jack and Aron for the Booster 2.5!  

You can try the 100k pot for wider range, don't remember why I went with 50k-maybe that range was more "useful" for me.  

Have fun!  

Doug

6/29/2000 10:25 PM
Blair
Still got problems with mine
HI guys, I finally got a chance to look at my sweet thing again and here are the voltages,  

They look very odd  

Q1 3.7 0.05 0.0  
Q2 7.7 3.8 3.7  
Q3 3.7 0.33 0.0  
Q4 7.7 3.8 3.7  
Q5 7.7 2.8 2.4  

These are taken as D S G  

Can any one help me and tell me what I did wrong  

Battery was only putting out 8.2V  

Cheers  

Blair

6/30/2000 12:04 AM
Eric H
Re: Sweet thing just finished, but........
quote:
"As I turn the the drive (first) pot down, it eventually cuts out completely. Is this right?"

ditto what Aron said, but you could make it a 100k trimpot and find your low-gain sweetspot. Look at The Shaka Braddah-3 scheme (in the opamp-loop) for a similar application (BTW, thats a great idea, Aron!).  

-Eric

Page 1 of 1