ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

AMZ Sixties Fuzz questions...

6/2/2000 6:51 PM
synthbum
email
AMZ Sixties Fuzz questions...
About that 'Sixties Fuzz' that AMZ had up.  
Found the SK3020 transistor at Mouser but...  
That SK3005 transistor:  
  • Where can it be found?  
  • Any decent subs?  
  • Something special about these Xstr's?  
  • Anybody build one of these pedals?  
  • How does it sound?

Sorry I'm all questions but you guys are awful good at this stuff.  

Thanks!  
- synthbum

6/4/2000 7:40 PM
Synthbum Re: AMZ Sixties Fuzz questions... once more
Does ANYONE here have any answers?  
Sure would appreciate some.  
Sorry to bother you guys again about it.  
Thanks !  

Synthbum

6/4/2000 8:39 PM
aron
email

Synthbum,  

In my common beginner questions page, there are replacement transistors listed for both germanium and silicon NPN and PNP transistors.  

You can try those. I doubt most people have built this circuit.  

http://www.firebottle.net/stompbox/pitfalls.html

6/5/2000 7:29 PM
Gus
email

I built on using 2n390x transistors. Kind of cool very square wave gate type. This was awile ago I ended up taking it apart

6/5/2000 8:34 PM
synthbum
email
Re: AMZ Sixties Fuzz questions...
Thanks much! I was wondering why an uncommon transistor was specified for a newer design. Like maybe these SK30XX had some special characteristics or something. I figured plain old NPN Si's should work but thought I'd best check.  

Thanks again!

6/7/2000 4:43 PM
Synthbum AMZ Sixties Fuzz... found out.
Okay - If anyone else decides to try one, they'll want to know. That obscure SK3005 (Q2) is PNP Ge, not specified as such on the AMZ schematic (currently unavailable). The SK3020's (Q1 & Q3) are NPN Si small signal, available from Mouser.  

No designer here but I expect the Ge transistor at Q2 is there for it's distortion characteristics.  

Both transistors indicated are Harris manufacture. Looked them up using FLIS, the Federal Logistics Information System, a DOD CDROM database used where I work. Plenty technical specs listed but not hfe.  

Just a little FYI.  

- synthbum

6/7/2000 5:11 PM
Gus
email

If you build it you might want to change the input buffer a bit. I would start with a .01 input cap, 470k b to +9v, 1meg b to ground, the rest the same. IMO this is a better buffer setup using 9v. I would use any NPN low noise Si transistor >200hfe for the buffer.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>