ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Power supply!

10/9/2000 11:42 PM
Tiago
email
Power supply!
Hi  
I recently make some pedals and want to use they in gigs. Iīm a beginner with electronics and donīt want to use a 9 volt battery for each pedal, I want a DC 9 volt adapter, connected to the AC power supply.  
The problem is that the schematics here and on all the net are ready for batteries. Iīve never heard if this works connecting the adapter + and - directly in place of jack battery. I tried to do this, but it not works.  
Maybe I connected wrong, but I want to know if itīs only connect directly or I have to put some diode or capacitor between the adapter and the circuit.  

My AC adapter have a current of 500mA.  

Excuse my english  

Tiago

10/10/2000 1:23 AM
Pete
email

Tiago,  

Any circuit can be powered by a power supply. Just make sure that it's the right voltage and connected around the right way. However, saying that, you also have to be careful of positive ground circuits and negative ground circuits. As connecting them together will short out one of the power supplies  

Pete

10/21/2000 1:39 PM
Kevin
email

Pete, I read your responce to Tiago's question. You must also make sure that you ampers are correct. For example If you have an effect that requires 200ma you need to make sure your Ac power suply will put out at least that much(DC). I have built several powersupplies, and you can get adjusable power supply kits in some electronics mags, like MCM... Just dont forget the transformer.Some will power up to 5 effects as long as the ma is enough. If anyone wants to know where to get the parts to build one email me and I will give you the info. Mine is housed in a Radio shack project box and mounted on a peice of wood with my effects, all prewired. I just pull it out of and old suit case and drag the cords to my amp and plug it in. I'm ready to rock. the power supply is adjustable so I used a didgital vu meter and dialed it to 8.7 volts dc. That is where the sweet spot for my effects is. Hope this helps Tiago

10/24/2000 3:56 AM
pete
email

Kev,  

You're correct that you need to watch out for the current drain as well. I didn't include that in there because must effects really don't draw that much current (because they have to be supplied by batteries as well)!  

So even if a manufacturer recommends a 200mA power supply, it probably only sucks a couple mA at most. All the same, check out how much current the effects draw.  

For me, I just picked up a general purpose transformer that supplies 1.2A. Plenty of beef to go around for what I need it for.  

Pete

Page 1 of 1