ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

"Overpowering/frying" my effect pedal

:
7/13/2000 1:35 AM
Jeff Clogston
"Overpowering/frying" my effect pedal
I've been using a Korg 104ds hyper distortion for some time and i love it. I figured i could save some money on batteries by picking up an adapter. I bought an universal adapter that had different voltage settings (12V max). I used it with my pedal at the recommended setting of 9V and nothing happened. I jacked it up to 12V and it worked for about one minute then died. Now, the pedal leds still light but when the pedal is turned on it doesn't make any sound (no distortion). I can still turn it off and my clean sound is okay. (For those of you familiar with this pedal; an orange light comes on instead of a green or red one).  
Did i fry the pedal? Is there anyway to get it fixed or should i just look for another pedal?  

thanks in advance,  

jeff

7/13/2000 2:12 AM
Brad

What's the pedal want in, usually, mA's --500, 800, whatever--, and what is the adapter rated at? Too low mA into something that wants more will keep it from working. Does the adapter have a reversible polarity, and did you have that set properly? Does the unit still work with batteries? Check all these.  
Brad

7/13/2000 2:17 AM
Jeff Clogston

With batteries, it does not work.  

jeff

7/13/2000 4:16 AM
R.G.

It's fried. At least something inside is. It needs replacement of at least some of the parts inside. A good tech could do this. How much it costs depends on the tech and exactly what's fried and how long it takes the tech to find it. At a guess, count on $50 more or less, as it may be substantially fried. That could vary +/- 100% depending on the tech and the exact nature of the frying.  

I have this saying - education is always expensive, no matter whether you pay for it in money, time, or other items or qualities.

7/13/2000 5:17 AM
Glen H.

I hate those multi-adaptors.:(  
Half of them never put out what they say (example: 12V setting = 18 V acual, 9V setting = 12V Actual , 6V setting = 9V actual).  

I am currently using one to power my 6V computer speakers. Guess what - I have the unit set at 3 volts!  

I work at a music store that sells (and uses) these devices, and I always use caution before plugging one into a pedal, etc.  
Whenever I use one, I first test its output with a multimeter to ensure a "proper" output . It is better to be safe than sorry...  
My $.02 worth...  

Regards,  
Glen

7/13/2000 9:13 AM
Ian Anderson

I'm surpriesed that the ratings of the components in that pedal aren't high enough to take that 'little' bit extra juice. Most of the (relatively cheap) caps I use in my homebrews average 25v.  

Those mass-produced effects are more than likely using cheap components though, oh well. Hope you find the problem.  

... Ian

7/13/2000 11:20 AM
JD

I'm a _little_ suprised too that it would fry at 12volts. I would take Glen's suggestion and measure the output volts of that adaptor, just so you might have a better idea of what's going on here. I guess the least of what R.G. mentioned as education is to check and double check adaptor output before you use it. Most unregulated adaptors will put out a higher voltage than rated unless you load it down good.  

JD

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>