ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Valverb mod?

6/9/2000 9:14 PM
John
email
Valverb mod?
Anybody ever hear of a mod that can done to a Peavey Valverb? My volume drops off a fair bit when I engage the tremolo. Any help would be appreciated.

6/10/2000 3:12 AM
eS
email

I second the need for help on this. That volume loss renders useless what is otherwise a great trem. This seems to be true of all Valverbs, so I'd think a good, standard mod for this problem must be floating around somewhere.

6/10/2000 4:24 PM
Steve Ahola
email

to John and eS:  

There is a schematic for this on my site if anybody wants to make some suggestions. I always wished that my Valverb had an adjustment for the waveform (like on some of the ss tremelo boxes). I'm not sure which waves are the most usable- sine, square or saw tooth. I believe that some LFO-based effects also have a switch so that amplitude rises in a linear vs. logarithmic manner. With the LFO circuit on this box being SS maybe someone here can tell us which caps and resistors would control the waveform and slope...  

Here is the schematic:  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/valverb.gif  

Steve Ahola

6/11/2000 5:05 AM
eS
email

Hey, thanks for the schematic, Steve. I know nothing about all this from the technical point of view, but I know that you're right on about tweaking the waveform. It's got such a nice, warm, beefy tone as it is, but the waveform seems like it could stand a little refocusing. The intensity knob, once it gets toward 1/2 up and beyond, gets kind of weird, too much of an on-off thing where the notes get lost somewhere and you can't find them anymore.

6/11/2000 7:34 AM
Steve Ahola
email
tboy- maybe move this to the Effects forum...
    With the vibrato circuit being entirely SS maybe we can get some better answers on this in the effects forum...  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

6/11/2000 4:40 PM
Chris
email

"Anybody ever hear of a mod that can done to a Peavey Valverb? My volume drops off a fair bit when I engage the tremolo. Any help would be appreciated. " (eS)  

+I didn't see a Valverb I.R.L. but I've looked at the schematic .  

Does LED CR108 ( difficult to see which # it is ) light up at the trem-speed ?  

IMHO the trem-circuit does add a big load to the first gainstage's output so effecting the gain of that stage . The "opto-area" of U100 might add that higher load when the "trem-LED" (strangly marked as LDR in the schematic ) is getting some current .  

So .......... I do think that's the area to mod .  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
"to John and eS:  

There is a schematic for this on my site if anybody wants to make some suggestions. I always wished that my Valverb had an adjustment for the waveform (like on some of the ss tremelo boxes). I'm not sure which waves are the most usable- sine, square or saw tooth. I believe that some LFO-based effects also have a switch so that amplitude rises in a linear vs. logarithmic manner. With the LFO circuit on this box being SS maybe someone here can tell us which caps and resistors would control the waveform and slope...  

Here is the schematic:  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/valverb.gif " (Steve Ahola)  

+try a different oscillator .  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
"With the vibrato circuit being entirely SS maybe we can get some better answers on this in the effects forum...  

--Thanks! " (Steve Ahola )  

+Those guys do know I think !  

Good luck ! ,  

Chris

6/11/2000 5:52 PM
anonymous broken gif
the gif at  

http://www.ampage.org/blueguitar/valverb.gif  

won't load.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>