ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

minibooster project. anyone built one?

:
5/8/2000 12:28 AM
dale
minibooster project. anyone built one?
i think it was arrons page that i got a schematic for a pedal called the "minibooster". he raves about it as a clean signal booster to hit the input of your amp hard for more drive. i use a boss ge-7 for this purpose and have used a tube screamer with the vol on 10 and distortion down a lot too. but i'm wondering if anyone has built the minibooster and if so, do you think it has that extra bit of tone over what i've used to make it worth building? i know it's a simple build, but i don't want to waste time and money on it only to shelf it. wadda ya think?  

thanks,-dale

5/8/2000 2:33 PM
Holger

Well I built one of this. It has not that big distortion and not that big tone-contol, but it's sounds really nice. Just try it you will build it in ahhhmm mayby 5 up to 15 minutes and if you don't use a case around it you even wouldn't give much money for it. (You can pull it later in a case if you want)  

The minibooster was my first self-built-guitar-effect. I think it's THAT beginning-pedal. If you know more about electronics you should built something different. Maybe a fuzz face or something like that. Just to look if you get along with it.  
Later you'll will see that it's better to built this pedals and not to buy them. It's cheaper, and the best thing you can change them, so that it sounds better to YOUR ears.  
But when you know that you have built it by your self, it just sounds better.....  

Holger

5/8/2000 3:43 PM
anonymous
the ge7 and tube screamer are really popular for clean boost so I think you have a good setup.  

jim

5/8/2000 9:40 PM
Jeff S.

Dale,  

I recently made a midbooster. Its the 25db onboard midboost preamp used in the Eric Clapton Strat. I love it and would recommend it highly. The schematic is posted up on Steve Ahola's "Blue Guitar" web page (there's a link to it on the AMPAGE home page). Check it out. Good luck and take it easy.  

Jeff S.

5/8/2000 9:50 PM
dale
jeff--i was refering to the MINI booster
not MID booster. thsi is a circuit thats supposed to simply be a signal booster with no perticular frequency boosted, rather the full range signal.  

dale

5/9/2000 2:03 AM
Jeff S.

Dale,  

Yeah, I'm an idiot. this is the second time this week that I made a nonsense post because I misread something. I've heard good things about the mini-booster, though. I actually built the Booster+ (a design based on the minibooster), it's not at all like the minibooster, though, it's got gobs of drive and distortion--sounds great. Anyhow, sorry for the waste of your time. Take it easy.  

Jeff S.

5/9/2000 2:42 AM
dale
don't worry about it jeff-i do that all the time *S*

Page 1 of 1