ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: The sound of NOFX with THE RAT?

5/5/2000 8:43 PM
Ian Anderson
email
Re: The sound of NOFX with THE RAT?
For Lagwagon, NUFAN, and most Fat Wreck stuff I'd go with one of those MXR Hot Tubes - I 'think' that's what the schematic I built was - the one that's basically Craig Anderton's tube-sound fuzz, but with added filtering.  

I thought it was a *really* great sounding distortion unit. The only problem mine had was that there was a sort of static fizzing as the note died away, but if you could get rid of that, it would be killer for your application IMO - very cranked-up Marshall sounding to my ears.  

For a change, you could also try a Colorsound overdriver which I rate really highly for some of Lagwagon's fuzzier strummed rhythms like 'Smile' off 'Triple Plaidinum'.  

I also like my Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes overdrive as it's really crunchy for stagework but sucks pretty bad at low volumes - you really need the amp to help you out with this pedal, so add a little of the amp's own gain.  

oops! I'm rambling, anyway, hope this helps a little.  

... Ian

5/8/2000 2:21 PM
Holger
email

Well I've allready build the MXR-Distortion + (not the same circuit as the MXR Hot-Tubes-Distortion), but this unit, in my opinion, has a worse tone, you need to put an EQ after it.  
But when I look at the circuit of the MXR-Hot-Tubes, this looks better(maybe because it's bigger). I think I will try it one time.  
Do you know how the Ibanez Tube Screamer is sounding? I promiss that it has nearly the same sound,but I don't know. There are so many effects...  
But thanks a lot for your help.  
Ah, I forgot something: Do you know on which page I can find the Colorsound Overdrive? Because I like the song smile from Lagwagon. It's one of my favourite songs.  
But the best sounding guitar in a song, is the one in Linoleum from NOFX. Do you know how I can get this sound without a tube-amp?  

Thanks for your help!  
Holger

5/8/2000 10:36 PM
Ian Anderson
email

If you're going for punk I'd stay clear of the Ibanez Tube Screamer, don't get me wrong, it's good for some things, just not punk IMO.  

The MXR-Hot-Tubes is nothing like the TS9, and sounds really cool as a lone source of distortion. I just dug it out again today following this thread.  

I can't remember where I got the Colorsound overdriver schematic from, but I do recommend building it if you can find the schem - try Aron Nelson's or RG's website.  

Can't help with the NOFX - don't dig them much.  

... Ian

5/11/2000 11:33 PM
Erik
email

I just finished building The Rat, and I got a very "thin" sound if the filter(tone)-pot is turned counter clock-wise and "full"-sound on the other end, and I like it very much. I used a 100K log-pot, 1N4148-diodes and LM308N-IC, I couldnīt find any 2N5458-fets, so I used BF245A instead: they should be quite a close match - you just have to turn the fets around as the pins are "mirrored" (g-s-d -> d-s-g).  
Try these if you used different parts - I compared this with original Rat, and I think this is a very close match.

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2