ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Stomp box switches?

:
4/26/2000 3:47 PM
Nathan Stomp box switches?
Where can I find decently priced stompbox switches?

4/26/2000 4:08 PM
R.G.
Presuming you want *good* reasonably priced stompbox switches, you can't.  

If I could find them, I'd already have them at GEO.  

You can get *cheap* stompbox switches from MCM Electronics sometimes. They're about $2.50, but about 1 in 5 has some problem and dies soon after being put into service, and most of them fail under regular use within a short time. This is info I've gleaned from reading other people's comments on a couple of BBS's.  

You can buy good DPDT's in 100's for about $6- $7 each, or you can get them in ones from Stew-Mac for about $16. These are the Carling 316PP. Carling 641's are harder to find for some reason.  

It's a problem.

4/26/2000 5:51 PM
jason

You can get *cheap* stompbox switches from MCM Electronics sometimes. They're about $2.50, but about 1 in 5 has some problem and dies soon after being put into service, and most of them fail under regular use within a short time.  
RG is correct on these switches. Don't waste your time or monney on these. I bought 10 a few years back and they all ended up with a mind of their own. They would switch when they were ready, not me.  

You can get the DPDT Carling 316P's (nice and reliable) from new sensor, for $9.13 each. That's about the cheapest price I've seen on them. If you need 3PDT you can get them from Fulltone for $16.00 each (this price includes priority shipping and there is no minimum order). These switches are of excellent quality.  
Good switches aren't cheap, they're easily the most expensive part of a homebrew effect.  

Good luck,  
jason

4/26/2000 5:56 PM
Gil Ayan

Agreed with R.G. on everything, DPDT switches are expensive. However, there is a Carling replacement switch that Magic Parts carries. It costs half as much as the Carling, and according to the MP folks, it performs very well. The feel of it is softer than that of the Carlings though, which may or may not be an issue.  

The MP part number is SW1045.  

Gil

4/26/2000 7:28 PM
Gus

Gil:  
do the magic parts switch contacts wipe and then make. As R.G. has stated in the past the MCM type might be a non wipe type switch. Switch contacts that wipe tend to self clean, Like a fender 5 way every thing on the switch can be dirty but the contact area is clean.

4/26/2000 8:18 PM
Gil Ayan

quote:
"Gil:  
do the magic parts switch contacts wipe and then make.... Switch contacts that wipe tend to self clean"

Ha ha, yes, I guess wiping tends to make things cleaner. :) Seriously, I have no idea, all I know is that Paul at Magic parts told me their customers didn't have any complaints about them. I personally use the Carlings in some footswitches I make, but those things are not as good as they used to be... They "slip" every once in a while.  

Gil

5/4/2000 1:06 PM
paul perry

I think a problem with many switches is, that they are designed for power (mains) switching, not swmall (audio) signal switching. These two applications require completely different contact materials, for a reliable long life. The audio signal ones want gold or silver plated contacts, that do not expect sparking. Power contacts are more robust & designed to 'rub' or 'wipe' the grot off. So no wonder we have so much trouble. And, the same is true for relays, so read the fine print!

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>