ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: What overdrive pedal for Blackmore sound

4/7/2000 11:49 AM
GFR
email
Re: What overdrive pedal for Blackmore sound
I've read an interview with RB where he states he used AC30's on studio. He also said he didn't like the tone of Marshalls, just the look of the stack :) Finally he said his Marshalls were factory moded in an attempt to make them sound like an AC30, just louder.  

This interview was for an european guitar magazine, I can't remember the URL.

4/7/2000 1:17 PM
RMS
email

quote:
"I've read an interview with RB where he states he used AC30's on studio. He also said he didn't like the tone of Marshalls, just the look of the stack :) Finally he said his Marshalls were factory moded in an attempt to make them sound like an AC30, just louder."

I've read similar things, but you'll notice that he starting saying all the nasty things about Marshall after he'd become an endorser of Egnl amps. I suspect there are other reasons and this is simply his chance to take pot shots at Marshall.  

Ross

4/10/2000 5:26 PM
Andrew Good
email

The UK release of Machine Head (25 anniversary) came with two cardboard sleeve, the outer sleeve has the pictures which were on the original gatefold of the LP. There is a picture of Jon Lord sitting on an AC30.  

The booklet has Roger Glover with his Ricky bass sitting on the AC30 and the headstock of a Strat next to it.  

There was also a booklet of photos from the Machine Head sessions which the Deep Purple Appreciation Society produced which shows Gillan and Glover working on a song, Glover with a Strat (his own or RB's?).  

There are no pictures with Blackmore near any amp.  

You can tell I am a Purple Geek :-)  

Regards  

Andrew

4/10/2000 8:10 PM
Rick Erickson
email

quote:
"There is a picture of Jon Lord sitting on an AC30."

I have a US release which shows the band around the drum kit.  
I see Ian Gillan sitting on something but the picture is too dark to tell what exactly it is.  

quote:
"The booklet has Roger Glover with his Ricky bass sitting on the AC30 and the headstock of a Strat next to it."

Yes, yes - I see it now. Page #24 in the 28 page booklet. Thanks.  

quote:
"There are no pictures with Blackmore near any amp."

I think that's why I never noticed the AC30 before.  

quote:
"You can tell I am a Purple Geek :-)"

I've been a Blackmore fan ever since I first heard the Machine Head album. I think it had just been released and I had been playing guitar for about a year at the time. It really influenced my playing & even today I incorporate certain "Blackmore" riffs in my solo's, usually in places where you wouldn't expect to find them. In 1983 I traveled on the road with Ian "Fergie" Ferguson, who was Ritchie's guitar roadie. I didn't realize who he was at the time and kicked myself later when I realized the opportunity I had missed to find out some of the inside scoop on Ritchie's gear. Damn!!!  

RE

4/6/2000 4:03 PM
pHiLtHy
email

Like I said, I don't think it's possible. One has to consider all the other factors involved; i.e. recording techniques, accoustics, etc. etc.  

I use to have a late 60's 50W Marshall and we played some DP covers... did the Blackmore thing very well.  

I have tons of stompboxes of just about every variety, tube pedals, boutique, and the everyday commercial ones. I've pretty much settled on the 3 Boss pedals that I mentioned plus a modified Fuzzface. The boss pedals are simple and consistent. While Boss has produced their share of dogs, they do have a couple of good ones too.  

I'm afraid the Strat->Pro Reverb isn't going to get you to a Strat-> cranked Marshall Major no matter what you do... the best you can probably hope for is to come close. Plus, if you cop Richie's technique, that will do more than the stompbox could ever do.  

Good luck,  

pHiLtHy

4/6/2000 6:42 PM
Andrew Good
email

Hi pHiLtHy  

You a dead right about Blackmore technique doing more than any box. I find it interesting how a great player sounds the basically same no matter what gear eg Blackmore with a ES335 and AC30 or Strat and Marshall.  

It's us not so great players who look for salvation in a box.  

Regards

4/7/2000 3:14 PM
pHiLtHy
email

"I find it interesting how a great player sounds the basically same no matter what gear eg Blackmore with a ES335 and AC30 or Strat and Marshall."  

Not that I'm a great player but I have been at it for over 30 years of which I would consider 20 pro. I sort of discovered this "technique/personality/attitude" thing on my own.  

Over the years I played through almost every conceivable rig and guitar but when I listen to some of my favorite archived recordings, I can hear how my own style developed over the years.  

My wife of all people, who is not a professionally trained musician but definitely a professional listener, has paid me the highest of compliments, probably unknowingly by pointing out my stylistic identity when listening to some of my old band tapes / demos.  

Once I realized that I had the beginnings of an "identity", I then started listening to myself more than anybody else. Sounds egotistic I know, but I found that in all the crap that I played, I would tend to remember the good stuff and ultimately reinforce "the good stuff" which in turn became part of my own style.  

I know... too much information :Oj  

pHiLtHy

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>