ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

What overdrive pedal for Blackmore sound

4/5/2000 8:44 PM
Andrew Good
email
What overdrive pedal for Blackmore sound
I am looking to get a sort of early 70's Ritchie Blackmore tone, I have tried most of the commercially available pedals in the UK. The closest I get is with a TS9 Tube Screamer or a mk1 Marshall Bluesbreaker, but both seem to lack that strong upper mid you can hear on Machine Head for example (an AC30 I think).  

FYI, I use a maple fingerboard American Std Strat with stock pickups, 10-46 strings and a 68 Fender Pro Reverb (modded to blackface specs) but with Celestion Vintage 30's. I tend to run the amp about half way (less if practicing)with a slighty edgey country tone, quite bright, twangy but not piercing. I am happy with this clean tone but want the Blackmore sound for dirtier sounds.  

I suppose I could get a Vox or a Marshall but the modern Marshalls I have tried don't get that sound, plus I want to keep the fender sound and I can't afford another amp at this time.  

Having done some DIY work in the past, I would be prepared to build from a schematic.  

Thanks for any comments.  

Regards  

Andrew Good  

4/6/2000 5:19 AM
pHiLtHy
email

You might want to try a Boss DS-1 distortion.  

They're cheap and do a great job for what they are. I usually have the distortion knob cranked and keep the tone knob at about 9:30 or less.  

There's no way it'll sound exactly like a cranked Marshall Major, but it'll get you close enough to cop the vibe.  

You may also want to check out the Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver, and the Boss OD-3 Overdrive. I use all three of these pedals with my SF and BF Fender amps with very good results. Like on the DS-1, keep the tone control low on the BD-2... the OD-3 is a little more forgiving.  

Good luck,  

pHiLtHy

4/6/2000 11:57 AM
Andrew Good
email

Thanks for the reply, I have tried and indeed own a DS1 and BS2 plus the SD1, but they are not quite there.  

Maybe I am too picky. I was thinking of some of the US boutique pedals but in the UK it is too expensive a risk to buy without trying.  

Regards  

Andrew

4/6/2000 2:52 PM
RMS
email

If you're getting the distortion close, why not try running an EQ pedal after the distortion to sculpt the sound to your specific desires. That should get you there.  

FYI: Blackmore was using Marshall Majors with factory modified preamps. One side of the preamp was cascaded into the other, so that it was a crude master volume amp. He used an Awai reel-to-reel for echo, but also for a preamp/overdrive. In fact he still used the same one on the last Rainbow tour...it just gets rebuilt by his tech on a regular basis.  

Ross

4/6/2000 6:57 PM
Andrew Good
email

Hi Ross  

Thanks for the reply, I have recently tried an EQ pedal with the tube screamer and it does get closer, I may just stick with this.  

On the subject of Ritchie's Marshalls, there is some debate about this the Marshall book mentions the cascading preamp, but Blackmore has always maintained that there were extra output valves. Given Blackmores attitude to interviews, I would be inclined to agree with the cascading preamp.  

FWIW I am convinced Machine Head is an AC30. If you have the recent remaster/remix double you can hear that distinct tone. Plus there are pictures of the AC30 in the photos of the sessions.  

I believe the tape recorder came along during the hiatus between Who Do We Think We Are and Burn. It certainly did not appear live until the Burn tour. Blackmore mentions using a Hornby Skewes treble booster (possibly a Rangemaster or Vox clone)circa 72/73.  

Regards  

Andrew  

4/6/2000 10:38 PM
RMS
email

Andrew,  

quote:
"On the subject of Ritchie's Marshalls, there is some debate about this the Marshall book mentions the cascading preamp, but Blackmore has always maintained that there were extra output valves. Given Blackmores attitude to interviews, I would be inclined to agree with the cascading preamp. "

I have serious doubts about extra output stages. We're talking Marshall Majors here! 200 W of output volume at about 1% THD. Plus, he used more than one on stage at times. I best he was just BSing...like reading an EVH interview where most of it is pure BS.  

quote:
"FWIW I am convinced Machine Head is an AC30. If you have the recent remaster/remix double you can hear that distinct tone. Plus there are pictures of the AC30 in the photos of the sessions."

You may well be right. It wouldn't suprise me at all if he used AC30's in the studio and Marshalls on the road, considering the power differences.  

quote:
"I believe the tape recorder came along during the hiatus between Who Do We Think We Are and Burn. It certainly did not appear live until the Burn tour. Blackmore mentions using a Hornby Skewes treble booster (possibly a Rangemaster or Vox clone)circa 72/73."

I remember reading something about it being in his rig since '68 or '69, but this could be BS. See above on interviews!:) I certainly didn't see him live for any of the early stuff since I hadn't even started school when DP broke up the first time.  

Ross

4/7/2000 5:09 AM
Rick Erickson
email

quote:
"FWIW I am convinced Machine Head is an AC30. If you have the recent remaster/remix double you can hear that distinct tone. Plus there are pictures of the AC30 in the photos of the sessions."

Where? I've got the re-mastered Machine Head CD and was looking for any pictures of Ritchie's amp. Didn't see one.  
FWIW - I have a JMI AC-30 and with a Strat in the Normal channel it is as close to the Machine head tone as I've heard.  
RE

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>