ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Must have Pedals for a Marshall?????

:
3/21/2000 5:47 PM
kevin Hamilton
Must have Pedals for a Marshall?????
Guys,  

In your opinion, what do you consider "must have" pedals to go with a Marshall style amp.  

IMHO, it sound awesome by itself, but I would like your input.  

TS9, Big Muff, etc.  

Kevin

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/21/2000 6:11 PM
Lou
I have been using Rat pedals ever since I got my JCM 800 50w. When they first came out (early 80's?). First one was an original rat, second gen. rat and now a R2DU rack mount dual Rat mounted right to the back of the Marshall head (plugged in to a old soundcity 4/10 enclosed bottom). Thats the only thing I use. I play Power Pop and use Strat's and Tele's so the Rat works great for boosting solos and such. I have an old Big muff for fuzz and a old MXR dist. +, DOD 250 overdrive preamp (yellow one) and a TS9 and they all work OK with the Marshall, But I always go back to the Rat.. These pedals work well with my BF "67" Fender twin also..  
Cheers  
Lou

3/21/2000 6:46 PM
Rebel420

quote:
"In your opinion, what do you consider "must have" pedals to go with a Marshall style amp."

you MUST have a Wha pedal of sorts. I recommend getting a Crybaby and mod'ing it to Trace's specs.. you won't be disappointed here!! I am not a big fan of ultra high gain, but if you need just a bit more boost etc, I recommend the Marshall Bluesbreaker since it retains mucyh of the original character of your sound

3/27/2000 3:24 PM
Trace

quote:
"you MUST have a Wha pedal of sorts. I recommend getting a Crybaby and mod'ing it to Trace's specs.. you won't be disappointed here!!"

You tried those mods Reb? I wasn't sure if you liked'em or not!! (ha, ha) It does fatten things up nicely with a Marshall or Fender amp. I've goofed around with the Tube Screamers lately as well (due to the persistant urging of some friends, also John S.--ha, ha)  

quote:
"I am not a big fan of ultra high gain, but if you need just a bit more boost etc, I recommend the Marshall Bluesbreaker since it retains mucyh of the original character of your soun"

I'm not a big fan of high gain either. There is a point to where you can literally have too much gain and your sound ceases to sound "big & fat" and just starts shriking. It's a fine line really. I've been messing around with 4 stages of gain recently ( I know what you are thinking!! Ha ha) and I finally came up with something cool that doesn't sound "buzzy" or "fuzzy" and chords still sound full like the older Marshalls do, not over compressed.  

The way the signal gets clipped with the added stage of gain seems to make those who love tube screamers really happy. Mostly it has to do with the harmonic overtones. I'm not saying it's the same thing but any means but I've noticed that people who like what a tube screamers does (tone wise) also like amps with 4 gain stages, it's just an observation and not everyone likes it of course! (ha, ha)  

I'm not talking crazy gain either like the Soldano's, Mesa's, etc, etc.  

I have to say that a tube screamer modded to 808 specs (and tweaked for a tad more gain) can be a beautiful thing and I normally hate distortion pedals! (ha, ha)  

OK where's my coffee???  
:^)  
Trace  

3/21/2000 8:01 PM
DavidB

I'm using an old fuzzface,vox v846,guvner,microvibe and an echoplex,sometimes a eh electric mistress.covers alotta sounds  

db

3/22/2000 12:44 PM
Liam

Here goes:  

Live rig - Proco RAT, Colorsound Supa Tonebender, Crybaby (with the Trace Allen mods), EH electric mistress, MXR Phase 90, Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, WEM Copycat, Roland RE201 Space echo.  

This covers most rock sounds, but there are a few more pedals I use for studio stuff:  

Big Muff(Pi), EH Small stone, Danenlectro Daddy-O, Boss HM2(They sound great, honest), Fuzz face, Morley wah/volume(old mains one, good '70s sound!), TS10 modified to brown 808 specs from R.G site.  

All of these sound fab with a Marshall 1986, 1987 and 2203. I've got quite a lot of pedals, but those are the ones that get used. If I was limited to say 3 pedals, it'd have to be the RAT, Phase 90 and WEM copycat. The TS10 is the best thing for blues though.

3/22/2000 1:49 PM
Carlos

>Crybaby (with the Trace Allen mods)  

Which mods are talking about or are these Trace's secret?  

Regards  

Carlos

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>