ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Opamp - TS 808 - TS 9 - UE 400

:
3/12/2000 1:00 AM
Naked Clarke
Opamp - TS 808 - TS 9 - UE 400
I cracked open my 808, 9 and UE 400. The 808 has the RC 4558D. The TS 9 has the TA75558P and the distortion section of the UE 400 has an HC-UA741CP. The compresser and phaser sections of the 400 have the JRC 4558D's and the chorus/Flanger section has JRC 4558D's. Is anyone familiar with the UA741CP? And if Ibanez knew that the 4558D was preferable why would they put it in the other sections and leave it out of the distortion section?  

NC

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/12/2000 11:29 AM
Kate Ebneter

Interesting: In my UE400 the opamps are all the same, and they're NOT JRC4558s. I don't remember what they are offhand.  

I believe a UA741CP would be a single opamp, not a dual opamp. Probably Maxon being cheap. :-) FWIW, it's clear that Ibanez/Maxon (Maxon actually made the things) DIDN'T think that the 4558D was a superior opamp -- indeed, in many ways, it _isn't_, hence the experimentation with the various opamps in the TS9. It turns out to be tonally superior, though, even though specs-wise it's technically inferior to some of the others.  

Kate Ebneter  
Collector of Noise Toys

3/12/2000 5:12 PM
John Greene

I would think that the UA741CP is a 741 opamp which is a dual. The JRC4558 is based on the design of the 741 opamp.  

I don't think that Ibanez/Maxon was exactly 'experimenting' with opamps. They were using whatever they could get cheaply. The JRC4558 around that time had some problems where there was a large failure rate. At the time, Peavey was JRC's largest customer for the 4558 and quit buying the devices because of it. JRC corrected the quality problems but companies like Ibanez and Peavey when on to other opamps.  

--johng

3/12/2000 10:55 PM
anonymous

quote:
"...741 opamp which is a dual."
Have some coffee, John; I'm sure you know that 741's are singles. :)  

--tboy  

3/13/2000 4:21 PM
John Greene

quote:
"John; I'm sure you know that 741's are singles. :)"

Heh, uh yeah, I knew that, uh I was just testing you, uh yeah, that's the story.....  

Actually I have no excuse considering I have a half dozen or so 741's sitting in front of me that are from the early 70's. The owner of the company I work for brought me in some of his 'stash' that has been in his garage since the 70's. I have some really old transistors that are in clear packages! He said they didn't work all that well because they were light sensitive. Might make a good effect pedal though....  

3/13/2000 5:51 AM
Kate Ebneter

Well, Ibanez/Maxon went back to the JRC4558 for the TS10, then changed to something else -- I don't know what -- for the TS5. I know they're using JRC4558s again in the TS7. My understanding has always been that the reason for the "experimentation" with various opamps in the TS9 was that they were looking for a more stable circuit. Apparently some of the changes they made for the TS10 made the circuit "more stable" in whatever sense they meant, while still using the JRC4558. Certainly they weren't trying to improve the tone...  

Kate Ebneter  
Collector of Noise Toys

3/13/2000 5:22 PM
Naked Clarke

Even though I don't understand the differences between the operation of a dual vs a single opamp chip, I do appreciate the responses and ensuing discussion. I guess that the chip installed in either effect obviously depends on the date that the unit was built.  

Kate, my 400 has yellow lettering on the faceplate and the TS 808 style switches on the foot pedal. I have seen other 400's with the TS 9 style switches as well.  

Has anyone ever attempted to compile a data base of Ibanez effects serial numbers in order to try and date them? The serial number on my 400 is 200866, the TS 808 is 100939 with registered trademark logo and the TS 9 is 374802. I don't even know if my TS 9 is original or a RI. It is supposed to have been originally purchased in the early 1980s.  

NC

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>