ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Pedal for Zoom 505 ?

:
11/26/1999 7:32 AM
Petri
Pedal for Zoom 505 ?
I do own a simple volume pedal for keyboard  
and it works with 505 but would be the correct  
pot value? I'd like to have wider operating  
range.

11/26/1999 4:34 PM
Steve Newton

Petri,  

I've just whacked together a quick diagram of how to wire up a vol pedal to use as a controller for Zoom units.  

Look here for the diagram - http://www.nwtn.freeserve.co.uk/elect/zoom1.jpg  

I use 3 of these, 2 for a Zoom 9050s to control volume and continuous controler messages, and 1 for a 505. The 9050 has a function where you can view the controller messages as they arrive and the diagram shown gives the correct 0-127 range for the pedals, other wirings do not give this full range of values so you only get partial control.  

The only way I can think of to test for full range on a 505 alone is to set up a pitch bend patch and see if the pedal will bend over the full octave or 2 octave range, if it bottoms out before reaching that point something is obviously snafu'd.  

You'll need the following;  

1 LINEAR pot. The Zooms seem set up to utilise linear changes in control even with the volume settings and a LOG pot will seem to switch abruptly after about 3/4 of the pot's rotation, this is usable but not ideal.  

2 core sheilded cable. However far you want to set the controler from ther zoom and then some for wiring it up.  

Stereo jack plug. I think that the Zooms just use the pot as a variable voltage divider so you need a stereo jack to carry +v and -v to the unit and then return the divided voltage back. This is why mono volume pedals don't work correctly.  

I hope all this is of some use.  

Steve.  

11/26/1999 11:41 PM
Steve Dallman

I used an Ensonic pedal for my 506. I did swap out the control to a different taper. The original was 10k audio taper and I switched to a linear taper pot, (or was it the reverse?) I found a Morley wha pedal that uses slider pots and uses the complete sweep and modded that into a control pedal. The problem I had was the touchiness when using the wah programs.

Page 1 of 1