Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

TS-808 hummmm...

8/19/1999 1:42 PM
TS-808 hummmm...
I'm getting a HUM using a "CONDOR" AC 9V source to my TS-808...Will this damage the tube screamer?...Is using a battery the only solution?...Frank
8/19/1999 2:14 PM
CJ Landry

From what I know about Condor, they only make switching power supplies. You mention AC 9V. You mean 120vAC Input and 9V DC output correct? Also,Is this a switching supply or a wall wart?  
8/19/1999 5:29 PM

Correct, 120 to IS a "WALL-WART"...Thanx for response!...Frank.
8/19/1999 9:16 PM
Mark Hammer
Two things matter when using a wall wart:  
1) The polarity of the plug from the adapter matches the polarity required by the effect. Some adapters have shaft positive, some shaft-negative. If you have a meter or if there is information on the adapter and effect itself, check this.  
2) The level of filtering and regulation. To count as a 9VDC adapter, all it really needs to do is tack on a diode and a capacitor after the transformer. While this can be *called* +9VDC, there is still considerable ripple and that is what you hear as hum. The 9VDC you get from a battery is a steady voltage. The 9VDC you get from this kind of adapter is simply the positive half-cycle of 60hz AC with a wee bit of low-pass filtering - hum city. I'm not saying this is what you have, but I mention it to illustrate that not all DC adapters are created equal, even though the writing on the adaptor suggests otherwise.  
Obviously, the goal is to make the adapter *behave* as if it were a battery. One way is to start with a 12V or greater adaptor and stick a 9V 3-pin regulator after it (voltage regulators always want a few volts more than they turn out), along with the 1 or 2 caps that make regulators work nice. Another way is to stick a couple of capacitors from hot to ground (say, one 1000uf, a 10uf, and a .1uf, in parallel) to provide more of the "low pass filtering". I know it's hard to think of 60hz and 120hz as "treble", but essentially what you want to do is turn down the "treble" on your power supply line. The safest thing to do is to get a little plastic box, put the extra components in there, and then run the last leg of the adapter cord out from there.  
Finally, I might point out that many FX can operate very nicely with more than 9V (although there are always those fuzzes that become "magical" at less than 9V). I run my own pedal-board (home-brew and commercial FX) from a 12VDC regulated supply, and everything works just fine, some things work even better.
8/20/1999 3:12 AM
Rob W.

Buy one of the Ibanez power supplies built for thier pedals. They are built not to hum. (at least that is what i have found ;-) But for the new ones to work on a TS-808 you will have to change the plug on them.  
Maybe a Dunlop power supply will work better, the pulg is the same, but you will have to reverse the polarity of the plug since it has a positive tip, when the Ibanez requires a negative tip.  
Both of these adapators cost less than $8, and well worth the cost! ;-)  
Good Luck!  
Rob W. :-)
8/20/1999 11:04 AM
JD Sleep

Don't forget the power supply schematics on GEO and AMZ. Either of these can be built for less that $8, not including case and jacks. If you don't spring for the expensive flat-pack transformer a bolt-on transformer is only about $5 or less. I believe one of these would do you better than wall warts in the long run, most likely less hum problems.
8/20/1999 3:13 PM

I made one of those regulated power supplies and its almost perfect. The hum is so low that I have to turn down the volume knob to stop the single coils from humming, turn off any distortions pedals which hiss any bit at all, then stick my ear up to the speaker. Very quiet, considering my humbuck makes more hum than it does.

  Page 1 of 1