ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Radio reception problem

:
8/17/1999 6:02 PM
Arnaud
Radio reception problem
Hi !  

I think it's an usual question.  

Yesterday, when I protoed a Doctor Q, I could hear radio in my amp at particular settings of my Doctor Q. So, it made me laugh 1 second and I put a 33pF between input signal and ground. But it solved nothing.  

I put directly the input of the effect to ground to see if my guitar was an antenna or not. I could still hear radio. It came from the pedal itself. And the radio is really loud!  

Today, I tried to make the Harmonic Percolator and I had the same problem.  

I think it comes from all the wires in the proto. Has anyone a solution for it ?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/17/1999 8:39 PM
Doc

Is it a single, local AM radio station?

8/17/1999 11:02 PM
R.G.

Worse yet, is it country music??  

*<8-)

8/18/1999 6:57 AM
Aron

ahahahahahahah!!!!  

No, NOTHING can be worse than.... FUSION!  

(ducking)

8/18/1999 7:26 AM
Arnaud

Doc:  

I don't think it's a local station because the one I heard is well known. Maybe it's broadcasted on AM band but I don't think so.  

R.G.:  

Think it would have been an accordion thing in France! :)  

Though I'm living in this old country, I really like *your* country music (old tunes, I mean...)  

Aron:  

I hope you meant *JAZZ* FUSION ! ;)

8/18/1999 1:37 PM
paul perry

The very strange thing here, is the same radio with two boxes! I'd like to know whether it happens with a different amp. Normally, only AM can be picked up by a fx box. Either the RF is getting into the guitar and/or guitar lead & then  

rectified in the FX (but, that cap should have made a difference) or it is getting into the output lead to the amp,in which case maybe a cap at the OUTPUT of the box, or at the input to the amp.  

BTW, RF pickup REALLY plagues theremins! I had one warbling away & the osc was modulated by the ENVELOPE of the radio!

8/19/1999 8:07 AM
Arnaud

I think I received 2 different radios with the Harmonic Percolator and the Doctor Q (don't know what I would receive with a Metal Zone... ;) ).  

I'm going to re-proto the Doctor Q and try to put a cap at the output. I suspect my power supply too (it's an old-fashioned transistor-with-zener-diode thing. I had forgotten to put a cap at the beginning of it). I will also try the proto on my keyboard amp to see what happens.  

I'll tell when I have done it.  

PS : Don't forget to post your guitar-theremin schematic, hehe !

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>