ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

The JSH Fuzz, question.

:
8/3/1999 8:55 AM
Preben Hansen
The JSH Fuzz, question.
Hi. On the net you can find the schematic of the JSH Fuzz, model FZIII.  

I am looking for thr following answers:  

1. Is it a commersial effect  

2. Who made it  

3. How old is it  

4. Does there exist any pictures of the physical unit  

I hope anyone can help. Thank's in advance.  

Preben.  

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/3/1999 12:44 PM
R.G.

That's one of the ones from the first schematics site, Jamie Heilman's. I can't remember off hand whether Jamie or I drew it. It is a commercial effect. The maker is unknown, as is the age. No pictures exist that I know of, although I'm certain that someone has one and might just pop up with one.  

It's a fuzz face variant, similar to the Jen, with an emitter follower input buffer and additional clipping diodes added to the output.

8/3/1999 4:26 PM
Nyquist

I think it is made by JSH (!). I have seen a JSH chorus pedal (or was it flanger) in a shop window recently.

8/4/1999 1:26 PM
Mark Hammer
I put one together last year, and found it to be a decent sounding unit. Not especially idiosyncratic, but decent sounding, kind of a slightly improved Muff Fuzz (the transistor version).

8/6/1999 6:24 AM
Preben Re: The JSH Fuzz, question.(Schem. errors ?)
Did you use the JEN schematic, from Robin's site, or the JSH schematic ?  

I have looked at both schematics. I think the JEN IS MOST CORRECT. Apart from the type of transistors and cap's values in the signal path, the JSH differs from the JEN in the connections to Q2.  

The emitter is NOT direct to ground, but goes thru the 150k resistor and Attack circiut to ground. The "feed-back" resistor, 150k, goes direct to the emitter of Q2, should it connect to the base instead ?  

It is hard for me to belive that any sound comes out of the unit, if it is build exact like the JSH schem. indicates.  

Any comments ?  

Regards Preben

8/4/1999 8:02 AM
Preben Hansen Re: The JSH Fuzz, question. (LONG)
I agree with you, - the JSH schematic is very simular to the JEN ! The only differences are the transistors and the cap's in the signal chain.  

By the way, is JEN an Italian factory ?  

The reason for asking is:  

Last week i recieved an ORIGINAL VOX Tonebender, more than 20 years old, for repair. It is housed in a BLACK sand-cast box, and there is a white plastic "ring" around the whole bottom plate, just as on the WAH's. TWO POTS: Attack and Level, NO power connector or led. Text outside on the bottom plate says: Made in Italy 250.130. The electronics inside is in a terrible shape ! A preliminary trace shows MUCH simularity with the JEN and JSH. Transistors are BC109C, and the two diodes have 9999 or 6666 signature on them,(i have to resolder them to be more exact). The printet cirquit-board has the signature: JEN 280.054  

When I have finished the restoration/trace, I will supply more information.  

This observation releases another question.  

We all know from various articles on the net, that Sola-Sound (England) made their own ColorSound effects. They also made affects for VOX and Marshall, the Tone Bender series. The Tone Bender mentioned above COULD indicate, that either Sola-Sound or VOX used JEN (Italy)to make their effect pedals.  

Does anyone know the history, with dates, about this ?  

Kind regards Preben.  

8/4/1999 10:22 AM
Nyquist
I bought the Stompbox book this WE (quite nice) and it states that JEN was an Italian factory that built whas for Vox.  

Good guess!

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>