ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

MuTron C200 Vol/Wah - DEAD "optos"

:
8/2/1999 6:43 PM
Sean McDaniel
MuTron C200 Vol/Wah - DEAD "optos"
I am a newbie on a quest to fix my MuTron C200 Vol/Wah.  

It was diagnosed by an electronic fixin' friend as having dead "optos". He said he would try to find some replacements.... That was a year+ ago. So I am on a quest to find the "optos" myself or build em from scratch.  

Does anyone know where I can find these parts? Or, does anyone know how I (the newbie) can build/repair the ones I already have? I got a schematic, but I need a little hand-holding. Thanks  

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/2/1999 9:40 PM
CJ Landry

I have the schematic for the vol/wah at the house and I will look it up tonight or real soon. The last time I worked on one of these the opto device, I think, is a phototransistor type. The LED portion is one one side of the blade mounted on the pedal and the other side is a phototransistor.  

I will look tonight and report back.  

CJ

8/3/1999 5:25 AM
Charlie

the pedal "expression" controls the current through the phototransistor(s)... the way you describe it CJ, it sounds like there a slit in the "blade" that is wide at one end and narrow at the other, mechanically varying light to the sensor... I imagine it would be simpler to vary the current through the diode to control LED brightness  

probably only one side is bad (the photodiode/transistor sensor) and maybe it's the only thing that needs to be replaced - LEDs are typically pretty robust

Page 1 of 1