ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Yamaha Pacifica 5 way switch

6/2/1999 2:24 AM
aron

Yamaha Pacifica 5 way switch
Before I start using my DMM, I thought I'd ask about this...  

Does anyone know how these Japanese 5 way switches work?  

I believe there are 4 terminals, 1 pickup goes to each terminal and the last one goes to the volume/tone pots.  

But there are 4 more unused terminals as well.  

If there's a schematic around, that would be cool.  

Is the switch hard wired to do:  

1 bridge only  
2 brigge + middle  
3 middle  
4 middle+bridge  
5 bridge only?  

Thanks,  

Aron  

p.s. The documentation says nothing...

6/2/1999 9:18 AM
Doc

It's probably a standard 2-pole switch, two complete switches with common rotor actuation.  

Does yor guitar have a volume control and a single (master) tone control? If so, that would explain the unused switch section. On guitars like stratocasters, which have more than one tone control, the pickups are selected with one section or pole, and the tone controls are switched in/out of the signal path with the other half of the switch.  

A guitar with only one tone control may not utilize the second switch pole. However, you could utilize it, and decide which pickups got the tone control assigned if you wanted to. For instance, you could wire it so the tone control is not connected when the bridge pu is on, for that screechy bright stock strat sound.  

The japanese versions (enclosed plastic case)of the two-pole switch work the same way as the open wafer switches, but the terminal sequence (for external wiring connection) is different. Check it with your ohm meter to map it out.  

Check the Stewart MacDonald website, in their Wiring 101 section. There's a 4-pole Yamaha switch available that allows you to wire the same three pickups to include some fat series coil tones.

6/2/1999 12:43 PM
aron

>Does yor guitar have a volume control and a single (master) tone control? If so, that would explain the unused switch section.  

Yes, one tone, one vol.  

Cool! It sounds like I need to delve into pickup wiring!  

>The japanese versions (enclosed plastic case)of the two-pole switch work the same way a  

That's what I have I think.  

Thanks,  

Aron

6/2/1999 12:54 PM
Joe Fuzz

Aron: are you talking about the Stewart-Mac Yamaha 5-pole switch? If so, then it's nothing like the other switches on the market. If it's the switch I'm thinking of, it's a 4 pole 5 throw switch. That's right: 4P5T. I've used it in a couple of projects -- incredibly versatile.  

There are 4 sets of 6 terminals: the 0 terminal is the common and the 1 to 5 terminals are can be selected by moving the switch to one of its 5 positions.  

See the document below to see if your switch looks like this one:  

http://www.stewmac.com/06_wrg_18.htm  

I believe I read somewhere that Yamaha was using these switches on their Pacifica line.

6/2/1999 10:13 PM
aron

Nah. Mine is the cheapo 2 sets of 4 terminals I believe.  

Anyway, it sounds like I have some wiring to do!  

I would like to add neck+bridge (no middle) and all 3 on at the same time.  

Aron

6/3/1999 2:53 PM
Doc

You can do that rather simply. Dave H. has a nice method. Scroll down to some not-too-distant posts discussind this mod.

Page 1 of 1