ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Atchely "hum buster" mod...

6/1/1999 4:07 PM
Dave James
Atchely "hum buster" mod...
Hi All,  

Has anyone out there performed the Atchley "hum buster" mod? I've done it to my '95 MIJ Strat and didn't achieve the level of hum reduction as I anticipated.  

Any input would be a great sanity check.  

Thanks,  

Dave James  
JMP

6/2/1999 7:32 PM
Steve A.

Dave:  

I've done the Atcheley thing on 2 or 3 guitars now and the predominant reduction of hum/noise seems to be from the copper foil that I used to line the cavities and pickguard. Isolating the grounds from the signal returns adds in maybe an extra 5% worth of hum reduction. At least that is my take on the situation.  

If your strat uses a RWRP middle pickup, your guitar should be very hum-free in the #2 and #4 notch positions. With a vintage-style single coil pickup used alone, IMHO you will always pick up some hum when playing in an "RF-noisy" environment.  

You might look at my articles on the EPI Paul Jr and Tele mods to see how I implemented the "John Atcheley" system:  

http://www.techaccessinc.com/blueguitar/  

Steve Ahola

6/3/1999 2:04 PM
Dave James

Steve,  

Thanks for the feedback...I'll review your data when I get out of class.  

Yeah, there was "some" reduction (from what particular piece of the mod I'm not sure), but I was hoping for more - oh well...  

Later,  

Dave James  
JMP

Page 1 of 1