ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

AGI Don Lace Holy Grail Pickups

1/27/1999 9:33 AM
Greg Marrs
email
AGI Don Lace Holy Grail Pickups
Howdy -- anyone out there have experience with these new Holy Grail Lace pickups? (They aren't lace sensors - -they actually have pole pieces.) I'd like to buy a set, but need a little dutch courage first.  

There are two models -- HG-1000 and HG 1500, the HG 1500 being a bit hotter. I specifically want to know if the HG-1500 retains the vintage sound, or if it gets humbuckerish at high output.

1/27/1999 11:17 AM
Mark Hammer
email

Never heard them, but the pictures in the ads reveal an interesting design: what appears to be something like a stacked humbucker, lying on its side. The physical layout of the little outside comb-shaped structure places the "teeth" of the comb further away from the polepieces for bass strings than for treble strings. It becomes essentially like having a side-by-side humbucker where one coil is at right angles to the strings and bridge, and the other is about 25-30 degrees off axis (pointed towards the other coil at the treble string end) . The net result is that the magnetic gap between the polepiece and comb-teeth senses a wider area of string vibration for bass strings, and a narrower one for treble strings. If you know your Tele and Strat, angling pickups is what Fender has traditionally done to provide a better balance of fundamental to harmonics in their brideg pickups. I assume the same generic strategy is at work here (since the fundamentals on the treble strings will be a shorter wavelength than those on the bass strings).

1/28/1999 7:10 AM
Steve M.
email

Greg,  

I don't know anything about the Holy Grail PUs, but I had a very bad experience with AGI-Lace when I bought a set of Transensors from them. I don't want to waste bandwidth on a rant here, so if you want the full story, email me. Suffice it to say that I thought the Transensors that I bought were good sounding PUs but I had a problem with them that AGI-Lace *would not* help me with. I will never buy another AGI-Lace product again.  

Caveat emptor.  

Steve

2/1/1999 12:34 AM
Steve A.
Website
email

Steve:  

I was just wondering if AGI-Lace makes the Lace Sensors that Fender uses? Or does a 3rd party license the technology to both of them? Or are they totally unrelated except for the name? (I'd heard that the technology used was based on pacemakers for heart patients- is that true?)  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Thanks for the warning about the company. As good as a product might be, if the company can't resolve their customer complaints it's best to avoid them!

2/1/1999 7:35 AM
Steve M. (not Steve A.)
email

Steve A,  

I believe that AGI-Lace makes the Fender Lace Sensors, or at least designed them. AGI makes their own versions of the Fender-Lace Sensors with the same color scheme as Fender's. I hadn't heard about the pacemaker tie-in if so that is pretty cool. AGI also has a solenoid division, so they don't just make guitar stuff.  

I've had nothing but exceptional customer service from both Seymour Duncan and EMG, and will continue to use their products. Product support is as important to me as good sound.  

Regards,  

Steve Milberger

2/13/1999 1:09 PM
Daniel R. Haney
email
HG-1000s and TranSensor pickups - the straight dope
Sorry about the late follow up.  

HOLY GRAIL PICKUPS  
------------------  
The AGI Lace Holy Grail HG-1000 and HG-1500 are  
quiet sensitive pickups that seek to retain the  
general '54 single coil timbre. They are a bit  
more sensitive to nuance than Texas Specials, IMO.  
The single complaint I have is that they have a  
subdued bottom end. You need to put them on a  
guitar that emphasizes bass more. Note that I  
said "subdued" not weak or absent. Otherwise,  
they need no special handling.  

TRANSENSORS  
-----------  
The AGI-Lace TranSensors require special handling  
that the company never addressed under their previous  
marketing exec. Specificly, the pickups are VERY  
sensitive to loading and require 500K pots instead  
of the 250K ones in most Strat-style guitars. Unless  
this is done, you lose so much high end that the  
high E string is NEVER loud enough.  

The problem is even worse with Humbucking TranSensors,  
which need 1Meg pots to sound good, whose case is so  
deep they won't fit in more conservatively routed  
guitar cavities...unless you chop the case. Once  
installed with proper electricals, you discover  
their compressed dynamic range - they sound pretty  
good on a clean punchy amp with good highs, but are  
disappointingly sterile through a mildly distorting  
tube amp.  

-drh  
--

2/15/1999 7:43 AM
Steve M.
email

"The AGI-Lace TranSensors require special handling that the company never addressed under their previous marketing exec. Specificly, the pickups are VERY sensitive to loading and require 500K pots instead of the 250K ones in most Strat-style guitars. Unless  
this is done, you lose so much high end that the high E string is NEVER loud enough."  

This would explain why I had a problem with the Lace Transensors. I did have the 250K pots in the wiring harness that I soldered the Transensors into.  

It *doesn't* explain why Lace kept my Transensors for months when I sent them in to be looked at, didn't even look at them, and sent them back only when I sent them a nasty email requesting them back. Also, no one at the time seemed to know about the loading problem. Bottom line is: I paid retail for the Transensors, lost money on them when sold them as they did not function properly and AGI-Lace would not help me. IMO, Lace's customer service really sucks, and they are clueless about their own products (or don't really give a sh*t about whether people know the quirks). Unbelievable.  

As I've said before, I'm done with AGI-Lace, I will never buy another product made by them.  

Steve

Page 1 of 1