ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

LSR Nut

10/28/1998 5:31 AM
Mook
email
LSR Nut
I read that the LSR company (I forget the name) offers a nut that accomodates .013 gauge and higher strings.  

Any one know how to purchase this product? I've called a few fender dealers and they don't know.  

Mook

10/29/1998 12:40 PM
Doc
email

I'm pretty sure the LSR nut will handle .013 strings, just due to its design.  

The Wilkinson roller nut on earlier Strat Plus guitars had a single roller fulcrum (for each string) beneath the slotted top surface plate. The plate had gap (slot) widths that were only so wide. They were set for the wire diameters of a typical set of .09s. I had to widen them so that .010s would fit without buzzing at the sidewalls.  

The LSR roller nut, which is standard on later strat plus, has for each string a pair of small side-by-side ball bearings. The string lies in the crotch, abve the centerline of the balls. Since the gap is an ever-widening vee, almost any diameter string will be accomodated.  

BTW, there are a lot of things fender dealers don't know. The one in my neighborhood is like that. Fender sells an LSR conversion kit to replace the troubled Wilkinson nut. It should be listed in the Frontline catalog. You get an LSR nut (which is not as wide as the old Wilk.) and a filler piece to cover the rest of the old milled out cavity at the end of the fingerboard. It's black plastic, but on a rosewood board, it matches pretty well. The kit was around $30 when I bought mine.  

If you are planning to add this LSR roller nut to a guitar which has a standard 1/8" nut groove, you'll need some professional milling machine/router help. I would say the LSR is about 1/4" wide or so. In this type of installation, you won't need the extra filler piece that comes in the kit. This installation was covered pictorially in a Frontline issue back about 2 years.

Page 1 of 1