ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

HERITAGE LP P/U REPLACMENT

:
8/14/1998 11:11 PM
ALBERT A
HERITAGE LP P/U REPLACMENT
I HAVE A HERITAGE 150CM ( L.P.STYLE ) WITH STK PICK UP'S I WAS TOLD THE BEST REPLACEMENT ON THE MARKET ARE THE SEMORE DUNCAN ANTIQUTIES. WOULD ANYBODY DISAGREE WITH THIS RECOMMEDATION ??? OR OTHE SUGGESTIONS ???? ALSO ANYBODY HAVE ANY STORIES ABOUT THEIR HERITAGE GUITARS ????

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/15/1998 3:26 PM
Steve A.

Albert:  

I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Antiquities (sp?), but then I've also heard that they are a bit overpriced. What kind of music do you play and what kind of sounds are you after?  

SD JB's are very versatile, and have been highly recommended by all sorts of guitarists, but DiMarzio has been putting out some new humbuckers lately that I haven't tried yet.  

Steve Ahola

8/17/1998 4:09 AM
Mook

I have 3 heritages. In each heritage, I have replace the pickups with Duncans. In my LP-style, I have the 59s. In my 335 copy, I have the antiquties. In my 350 copy, I have the Seth Lovers.  

I love them all, but my personal favorites are the Seth Lovers.  

Mook

8/18/1998 9:31 PM
Steve, again

Mook:  

I've used the 59's but haven't tried out the Antiquities or Seth Lovers. How would you compare all 3 of them? Do you know if they are using Alnico 2 or Alnico 5 for the magnets? How does the sound compare (loudness, tone, etc.)?  

Steve Ahola

8/19/1998 3:50 AM
Mook

The 59s use Alnico 5. The other 2 use alnico 2.  

Let's start with the 59s: They seem to have fairly even response - low lows and chimey highs. Even though they have a chimey top end, they don't seem to have too many harmonics. I can get a good clean tone and distorted tone, but this pickup doesn't seem to like slightly distored. The high end can be piercing and brittle at times.  

The Antiquties: These seems to have the same flavor as the 59s, but have slightly lower output. They also don't have the piercing/brittle highs. These pickups, although the same flavor as the 59s, are much more refined -- Smoother more "multi-dimentional". These would be great for Jazz. Lots of harmonics. These pickups capture a lot more of the subtleties (sp?) of your playing.  

The Seth Lovers: A different flavor than the top two -- much more midrangey. These have comperable output to the 59s. Great for blues -- Billy Gibbons would be the best description. Not as many harmonics as the Antiquties, but these pickups capture all the subtleties of your playing.  

To sum it up:  

59s: good for rock, perhaps blues. Strong across the frequency spectrum. Kind of "plain" sounding, though.  

Antiquities: The most complex and multi-dimentional. Jazz, blues.  

Lovers: Blues all the way, some rock, some jazz. Very vintage midrange.  

Mook

8/24/1998 11:37 PM
Steve A.

Mook:  

Have you tried the SD JB bridge pickups? I guess you could say that they are like the 59's but on steroids, with higher output, more mids and nice harmonics. They have been around forever so its good that SD has come out with something along the same lines but with lower output.  

It used to be that practically all of the lower output humbuckers were "wimpy" sounding (like the 59s)- but maybe that was partly due to the amps I was plugging them into...  

Do you have any particular recommendations for the neck position vs the bridge position? Like an Antiquity for the neck and a Seth Lover for the bridge?  

Steve Ahola

8/25/1998 5:29 AM
Mook

No, I have not tried the Jeff Beck SD. I'm not a Jeff Beck fan, and I don't like his sound, so, I'm staying away from anything that is labled "Jeff Beck". I don't mean to offend Jeff Beck or his many fans.  

I'm more into Allman Bros., so I like the basic, plain vanilla vintage humbucker.  

To me, the 59s are NOT wimpy sounding, but then again, I've yet to play a "wimpy" sounding pickup (single coil or HB). I use larger gauge strings (.012s and .013s) so that might account for this.  

I've experimented with pickup combinations, but I've ALWAYS been dissatified with the combined sound. I much perfer to stick with "matched" sets. Makes sense to me (matched tubes, matched pickups, matched drum heads) I'm into matching everything for a better, more consistent sound.  

As far as amps, even though I have "both" types of amps, I much prefer non-master volumnes -- old Fenders, Plexi Marshalls, and I have a Dr. Z Perscription on order -- all non-master. I just crank the volumne to get monster distortion. My Fender Pro Reverb leads the pack in terms of mondo-distortion!  

ANY of these pickups I described before would sound GREAT in any "humbucker" type guitar. My only "recommendation" to the match the pickup sets.  

Mook  

PS - I would put the Seth Lover bridge and neck in a LP-style guitar any day.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>