ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Steel wool in pickups...help!

10/18/1997 7:57 PM
Mike Oriente
email
Steel wool in pickups...help!
After cleaning my fretboard with steel wool some shavings found there way to my Dimarzio Super Distortions. Any suggestions on getting steel wool out of pickups?

10/19/1997 5:03 PM
R..G.
email

And now we all know yet one more use for Saran Wrap...  

You have an interesting problem there, as you know. Tweezers? Or it it finer than that? How about using duct tape (the mysterious force that holds the universe together!), pressing it down on the pickup and peeling it off. The steel fuzz should come away with the tape. Those of us who live in ...er... animal-ly enhanced houses know this trick from the little rollers of masking tape with the sticky side out for removing pet hairs from navy blue and black clothes.  

If you're chemically inclined, you might try a fine mist of water to make the micro steel particles rust away, followed by a gentle drying cycle - a few days in a sunny window should do it. The wool is so fine that it should rust completely away in a short time, leaving you with just the job of cleaning the rust off. The devil makes me want to say expose the pickups to the fumes from red fuming nitric acid for a shorter rust cycle, but I'm afraid you'd take that seriously ;-)

10/22/1997 1:49 AM
Steve Ahola
email

I've had luck using Q-tips with rubbing alcohol. I keep a roll of good quality masking tape around, but I did hear recently that they make a "low-tack" version of masking tape that doesn't harm vintage finishes like the regular kind can if you leave it on too long.

10/23/1997 1:04 AM
Anders Westerberg
email

My brother used to work in a guitar workshop and he told me they always used the masking tape method.

10/27/1997 9:34 AM
Y.
A "kneadable eraser" also works. It's sort of like silly putty, except it isn't as oily. But you can press it on the the pick-up and it will form fit better that masking tape. Remeber to peel, not yank, it away so you don't strain the windings. The steel wool pieces stick to the eraser, the pick-ups don't.  

-Y.

11/26/1997 6:18 AM
Anders Westerberg
email

BTW, my brother also told me they always cover the PU's with tape before they start working with steelwool.  

Anders

2/18/1998 7:53 AM
Jack Orman
email

There is a low tack, no residue adhesive putty that is used for temporarily sticking up papers to a wall... sorta like Post-Its putty. Sold in all the office supply stores. Works good for this and for picking up residue from a toner transfer to a pcb.  

-regards, Jack  
Digital Music Zone

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>