ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Strat mid PU tone to Bridge PU tone control

10/10/1997 1:31 PM
BigD Strat mid PU tone to Bridge PU tone control
Does anybody know how the change the middle pick up tone contol to the bridge pickup tone contol. I almost always use the middle pickup fully on and on occasion I would like to turn the treble down a hair on the bridge pickup. Any help would be appreciated.

10/12/1997 4:04 AM
Steve Ahola
email

.. Assuming that you have a standard strat selector switch (with terminals on each side and a jumper running from one side to the other, the following should work:  
.. On the side of the selector switch with one unused terminal in the middle, move the other middle lead (which goes to the lower tone pot) to the unused terminal as diagrammed below:  
Stock strat selector switch wiring:  
........[Com]...[Neck PU]...[Mid PU]...[Bridge PU]  
[Neck Tone]...[Mid Tone]...[not connected]...[Com]  
Modified strat selector switch wiring:  
........[Com]...[Neck PU]...[Mid PU]...[Bridge PU]  
[Neck Tone].[not connected][Bridge Tone]..[Common]  
.. I usually rewire my strats for a single master tone control and use a modified Torres midrange control in the middle position (which frees up the second section of the switch for other uses). In the mid-boost mode, the midrange control shaves off that sharp edge from the bridge pickup while boosting the middle for a sound more like a humbucker.  
.. I just heard a tip about putting in a Bartolini "blend control" for the middle pot and wiring it to a 4-pole 5-position MegaSwitch so that you can adjust the balance of the 2 pickups in the 2 & 4 notch positions. The Blend pot has a special taper so that in the middle position both pickups are on full with no signal loss. As you turn the pot either direction, one of the pickups is gradually bled to ground. Sounds like a great idea, but I was told that the Bartolini blend pots are difficult to get...  
.. One last tip when you have your guitar apart: try replacing the stock tone cap with one that is .015uf @ 600v. Dan Torres calls it the Eric Clapton "Woman" tone control and it is much more usable than most tone controls which just swallow up all of the high frequencies if you turn them down much lower than 7 or 8. With the .015uf cap, you can turn it all of the way down to 1 and still get enough high frequencies coming through to give some definition to your sound. (With overdriven humbuckers it has that "Sunshine of Your Love" tone which I always associated with a wah-wah pedal in the down position.)  
Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 1