ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

JRC4558

5/31/1999 7:44 AM
GFR
Website
email
JRC4558
I've got an old Boss Flanger (BF-2). I bought it around '86, second hand. I've opened it and found two opamps labelled "JRC4558 DDD". Is it worth to replace them with new TL072 and use the JRC4558's in TS clones? Is this the right vintage of 4558?  

I don't use the flanger anymore (I used it more like a chorus, with manual and resonance at zero and rate and depth at 12:00), I even tried to trade it for something else but nobody wants it.  

GFR

5/31/1999 1:30 PM
R.G.
Website
email

quote:
"Is this the right vintage of 4558? "

It does not seem to matter much what vintage a JRC4558 is. According to John Greene, even the latest NJM-made "JRC4558D"'s sound like the oldest ones. My listening tests with an impartial panel of testers tends to confirm this. While they CAN hear the difference in the JRC and other duals, they like the new and old JRC's about equally in the TS circuit.  

Use them in clones if you like. The TLo71 may clean up the noise in your flanger a bit.

6/1/1999 11:01 AM
gfr
Website
email

quote:
"Use them in clones if you like. The TLo71 may clean up the noise in your flanger a bit."

It's got plenty of it :)

Page 1 of 1