ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

is there any remedy?

5/20/1999 6:53 PM
John C.
email
is there any remedy?
Have the Foxx Tone Machine and Vox Treble Booster a "remedy" to avoid that annoying background noise when a power supply is used instead of batteries?  

A used a germanium transistor in the Vox Treble Booster circuit, and the output volume has decreased a lot compared with the average output of guitar and most effects, so if I increase the amp's volume to use this booster, then it is too loud when I change to clear sound or most of other effects.  
Is there anything than I could do to increase the output without changing the sound that the germanium delivers?  

Thanks.  

John C.

5/21/1999 5:54 AM
MKB
email

Hello, John. Is the noise a hum, buzz or hiss? I have found that some linear regulators have a lot of hiss, although they make the hum go away. You might try a RC filter inside the effect, 1K in series with the power lead, 470uF on the effect side of the resistor to ground. You will probably have negligable voltage drop and this might help both hum and hiss.  

If I recall, I had to do this inside my Boss CE2 chorus. I could not use an external supply, even one with a LM317. I put in the RC and it fixed the problem. I also put the circuit in my Cry Baby, it was passing clock noise from another effect in my pedalboard. This fixed the problem.

5/21/1999 7:18 PM
John C.
email

>You  
might try a RC filter inside the effect, 1K in series with the power lead,  
470uF on the effect side of the resistor to ground. You will probably have  
negligable voltage drop and this might help both hum and hiss.  
==================  

Thank you very much. I would say it is hum, so I just finished the board for a new power supply, and I'll see what happends. If it does not disappear, then I'll try an RC filter like the one you describe.  

Thank you very much again.  

John C.

Page 1 of 1