ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

roger mayer classic fuzz

6/5/1999 11:10 AM
nic roger mayer classic fuzz
I never use this pedal! I can't figure out why it sounds so bad. Maybe it sounds the way fuzz faces are supposed to and I just don't like that? I have heard that fuzzfaces all have their own sound and that guys used to try out a bunch of them before they chose the one they'd buy. Maybe it is because it doesn't complement my Fender amps, after all they aren't Marshalls?  

I have tried carbon comp batteries and alkaline. The box still farts out. I have seen lotsa mods like on Plate to Plate. I just don't know what they really would do. How important are the Hfe, as Fulltone stresses?  

nic

6/5/1999 2:29 PM
aron

The hFE is pretty important. What hFE are your transistors?  

Did you put them in sockets (I hope) so you can swap them out later???  

Did you use germanium transistors or silicon?  

Aron

6/5/1999 4:32 PM
nic
The hFE is pretty important. What hFE are your transistors?  

I am not sure, never pulled them out. What should they be at each stage? I am not even sure how to check hFE.  

Did you put them in sockets (I hope) so you can swap them out later???  

Did you use germanium transistors or silicon?

No, this is a store bought Roger Mayer, in the rocket case, the main reason I bought it. (Form over function was my logic I guess.) I am assuming that the transistors are Germanium.  

nic

6/5/1999 6:12 PM
aron

This is interesting reading from GEO:  

http://www.eden.com/~keen/fffram.htm  

and this schematic:  

http://members.tripod.com/~Bonej/69_Pedal.gif  

Basically around 70-80 on the first and around 110-130 on the 2nd.  

Buy a multimeter that can measure hFE to measure your gain on the transistors.  

You could replace the transistors with sockets and swap perhaps betters ones in there or maybe you are just a different resistor away from biasing the circuit better.  

Check out the article, it has some good stuff in there.  

Aron

6/6/1999 12:05 PM
mmark

"maybe you are just a different resistor away from biasing the circuit better."  

I agree with Aron. Read R.G.'s clone of the Rangemaster document too. It details a method of fine tuning the resistors in these devices. I recently used his ideas in a fuzzface with staggering results! Mark

Page 1 of 1